June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (dukxdog), 424 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,583
Posts546,701
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Usually, it is just ahead of the barrel flats. But most Damascus had milled or filed barrel flats and the mark was removed.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

What Raimey said. Have not yet found a damascus Parker with Belgian maker's marks still present.
'LLH' and 'ACL' - Acier Cockerill Liege

Sidelock
Sidelock

--- doesn't it stand to reason that barrel bursts could occur under those same conditions? Why? Do you suspect the barrels were weak? Frames crack from backthrust and barrels from hoop stress.

What do paper hulls have to do with cracked frames or burst barrels?

Hull length is increasingly important as pressure approaches the gun's design limit. Low pressure 2 3/4" loads should have no issue in a 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" chamber. Equally, it would be no trick to load high pressure loads in a 2 1/2" hull that would be quite injurious to most 2 1/2" chambered guns; they might be called proof loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rktmn,
I don't know where to begin...I thought this subject would have been covered time and time again at this site, by the Department of Redundancy Department.
As you know, it's not likely that I could explain this reasoning in four sentences or less, and, as with any concept that's perceived as "new" to this board, it's highly unlikely that I could convey this vital information without some pigeon starting a sh*t storm over the words I post.
If someone else would please answer this question for Rocketman, I would be happy to assist...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman - It was my understanding that paper shells that are longer than chamber length create more pressure than a plastic shell of the same length due to the fact that the paper hull is thicker and leaves a smaller area thru which the shot, wad(s) and expanding gasses must escape. Someone please correct me if I've misunderstood.

LCSMITH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Almost all vintage American guns have been misused at sometime or other with the wrong shells. Some guns, as we know could tolerate the abuse, some couldn't.

Sidelock
Sidelock

B French has inherited exactly the same understanding that I inherited...the story goes that Englishmen debated it for so long, that British gunwriter Gough Thomas (G T Garwood) did a published laboratory analysis of paper vs plastic and the pressure curves in short chambered guns. It has less to do with the maker than it does with the chamber length, why do you suppose the Brits were debating it? Because their short chambered guns were developing frame cracks too...and chamber bursts...
Hey, it rang of truth and sound reasoning back then, so I too accepted the concept with no further question.
Thank you Mr French...I owe you one...the last thing I wanted to do was debate a concept that I only adopted ...
Gough Thomas burned that debate to the ground back in the 60's...that's why I thought the Department of Redundancy Department had this covered.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure the English proof house loads would excede your paper or plastic tale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kurt D
....I believe it was mfg in 1910. The barrel flats do not show the twist pattern. Did Ithaca build some of the false damascus bbls? Or has the barrel flat been polished to a degree that the twist is not evident? Sorry that I did not take a picture of the barrel flat and water table.....

You are correct, the barrels have been "polished" to the point the pattern is no longer visible.

Ithaca did not make any false damascus barrels to the best of my knowledge.

The 1910 dating is the key. Proof pressures in Europe had not changed since the late 1890's. An increase occurred around 1915 and again around 1924 (my dates are fuzzy, too lazy to look it up tonight). Those barrels were made in Belgium as Drew states. In 1910 you could purchase both smokeless and black powder shells from the Sears catalog.

Emil Flues was one of the truly great American gun designers. In the 1910 census he listed his occupation as "Experimental Gun Maker". Here is a 1911 Ithaca ad:

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're right Lowell...it's just a "tale"...maybe even an old wives tale...in fact it was my grandmother that made up the name "Gough", so you couldn't google it...perhaps it's just folklore. Definitly fiction from top to bottom...you got me this time Lowell...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.