Well...it was a bit if a boondoggle. It never ceases to amaze me just how many people there are out in the backcountry anymore. It's been nearly untenable here since the COVID experience and I had hoped it would return to something resembling "normal", but no, now it's full of these "overland" vehicle types driving equipment that costs more then a house. I realize that it was Labor Day and everybody was getting in their "last hurrah". It's also bow season for big game here and there were plenty of those folks out there too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We saw some birds and even got one but...it was a serious circus out there. After it got too-hot to really hunt (95 in Craig on Monday) we headed down to explore that lake we'd been told about. It sadly turned out to as a mud-bottomed bovine latrine, ringed with campers and pickup trucks. I suppose you could fish it with a belly boat, but at 90-plus degrees that day we weren't buying. It was fun to see the country I normally hunt elk in without snow and... we were able to go places that aren't normally available to me then. But...it wasn't really worth all the trouble (and burn all the fuel) to get there, get a hotel, and then get up early to go up the hill. Colorado is sure a mess anymore.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/07/22 01:24 PM.