When I hunted ptarmigan and ruffed grouse in the interior of Alaska during the late winter months, snow flushes were a pretty common event. No dog needed, follow the tracks until they stopped (ptarmigan would usually be in a patch of willows, ruffies would normally be under a tree) start walking around like you’re trying to flush a bird out of the grass. Hopefully when they do flush, they don’t kick up so much snow as to obscure your view when trying to put the gun on them. Easier said than done.

Outside of Haines I watched a beautiful red fox walking down the side of the highway, totally oblivious to my rattle can diesel truck following him, he veered off into a patch of willows and about 20 ptarmigan burst out of the snow (very cold wind swept morning, snow was smooth as concrete), the fox watched where the birds let down (about 30 yards into another willow patch), I stopped the truck and got out to take some pics, and watched the fox maneuver around to try and get into position to make a go at them…..I walked in for a pic of the ptarmigan that were now on high alert, though they could care less about me and were looking for the fox…..I got too close and the birds flushed and this time left the country. The fox stood about 50 yards out and just stared at me, and I swear, gave me a dirty look. I knew exactly what was going through his mind. I felt like a jerk.
I have pictures somewhere of this entire event. If I can find them I’ll post them.