Keith, you are correct, it is Slatertown. My folks lived in Saegertown for a short while in the 90s and I'm sadly confusing the two names. There's another fairly big furnace near to the Miller Farm just west of Polk on US 62 (and Big Sandy Creek). I used to know it's name but can't recall it now. Yes, hunting there is on top of the bones of a great deal of history. I really miss being able to just step out my door and walk into the woods to start my hunt. Did that all through highschool and simply took it for granted. Now I can't safely unslip a gun untill I'm several miles from home, and any "real" hunting now requires several hours of travel (like 4 or 5). Before I'm too old to do it, I might end up back there again someday. It would be a real treat to be able to step out my door again, gun in hand, and not stir anybody up.

If I remember correctly, that Bullion Run furnace was called the General Grant. We used to ride our bikes out there from town and collect the shiny green and grey "clinkers". The sharp edges would usually cut holes in my pants pockets.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/06/23 11:43 AM.