UPDATE: Good news.
I filed complaint with local law enforcement when this theft happened. I recently received an email from the investigating officer. Lo and behold, he was able to make an arrest and in fact recovered my rifle. the case is in court now. I was told I would be contacted after the case is adjudicated to get the rifle. The stock blank was not recovered and the suspect stated he "got rid of it" UPS did not do squat with their investigation. they would rather just write it off. the hell with the customer.
Evidently this guy would remove packages that contained guns and would take them to his truck. no cameras in the sorting area. that he got rid of it.

so for the naysayers that felt I jumped the gun on my accusation of theft, I guess i was right !!!

three weeks ago I shipped a Ruger Hawkeye Stainless 338 Federal and a screaming piece of Turkish walnut to my stock maker for a restock.
Insured, with signed receipt from pick up. which UPS requires on anything over $1000 of insured value, (supposedly to assist in accountability and theft prevention)
Package containing rifle and blank (measured 50" x 10" x 4" and weighted 26 lbs) arrived at distribution center (Camdenton, MO) near my dealer.
after that it was tracked as "delayed". Package never got to my dealer. I initiated claim. UPS acts like its n big deal. I asked them if they notified ATF and they said no.

Of course they want me to produce a receipt for a rifle I purchased 15 years or so ago. Now the fight to get my value out of them.
I did file an official report with the Camdenton Police Dept. The officer said he will investigate. Thats better than what UPS will do. No way I am letting UPS sweep this under the rug.

On top of that, my stocker informed me that he had a 5K shotgun he purchased from a Florida dealer stolen at the same location, same circumstances, about 3 months ago. so obviously there is someone with penchant for stealing firearms. And believe it or not, ATF wont take a notification of firearms theft unless its form a dealer, meaning a gun logged in a dealers bound book. this was personal gun. ATF could care less.
So, anyone out in the Missouri area, please keep an eye peeled for a Ruger Hawkeye 338 Federal with a 20" barrel. I cut it down a while ago. Wood Ruger factory stock with crossbolt reinforcement.

im sure the stock blank ended up as firewood or donnage to hold up a broker vehicle in a driveway!!~!!

Last edited by Brian; 06/13/23 01:26 PM. Reason: update situation

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member