September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fullandfuller, ivanhoe, Roundsworth, Austin Hawthorne, 1 invisible), 419 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,925
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

KYjon, what are the loads for shot for .410 with Unique, 452, and Herco, and where are they published? I repeat, they are way too fast for .410 loads and the pressures are way too high. Educate me on fireforming. I think that fireforming usually involves a projectile.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You can fireform cases with shotgun pressures, too. I learned this while reading an article about using the 9.3 X 74R cases for a .410. The author gave the load specs to do so.

The source says that 8 grs. Herco and a full case of Cream of Wheat supposedly will do the trick.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
Stan,
You would be surprised how much you can do with a drill press or even a 1/2" "drill motor" in a vise and a file until you get a lathe. A lathe is a necessity of life, even if you don't hand load. Anyway, with only .005" difference, manufacturing tolerances in the rims vs. the chamber/headspace may allow 9.3 cases to fit (cases have to be the same or smaller and the chamber has to be the same or larger than the listed standards).
Mike

If only I could get ahold of one of these to try in a gun before buying 50. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/76364

Sidelock
Sidelock

quite a few varieties of 9.3x74r brass available from Dave Gullo (aka Buffalo Arms).
https://www.buffaloarms.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=9.3x74r

Looks like you can even buy a single case for $2.79 (Norma), but there are 3-4 other makers in different quantities.

.405 Winchester looks ballpark close, but too short. The 9.3/.410 is interesting. I imagine it would be at least a reasonable grouse gun.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Stan,
In case you were curious, I measured some new Nosler brass, rim diameter .524", rim thickness .054", head diameter .464", length 2.93".

I had a similar thought as what you're thinking, but other little projects, happen. If you aren't in a rush, monitor the Nosler website, it seems they just had a sale that puts the cost of their brass, at about what you're considering with the Privi brand. I never loaded any, but I recall figuring out that a 41 mag seating die would put enough of a crimp to hold an overshot card. I was going to try filling the bullet seating cup with epoxy, so it would be more or less flat.

I may have read it wrong, but you mentioned opening up the primer pockets? Why not just use large rifle primers? Anyway, best of luck with the project.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Craig. I read that even if you do use LR Primers you need to "clean up" the pockets on this brass. Having never seen it in hand I cannot say for sure. Others advocated opening the pockets enough for shotgun primers. Lots of conjecture and "what ifs". And, Gil made a good point earlier. It may not be possible to get "all brass" shotshells pressure tested. I'll send an email to Armbrust to see.

Thanks for the info, and thoughts.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, realizing that you have a streak of McGyver/DIY, Rocky Mountain Cartridge sells minimum orders of 20 brass shells ranging in .25" increases of length, 2" to 3" from $85 to $94. They have machined primer pockets for shotgun primers. They are precision made, one at a time, to .410 specs. Gil

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I assumed the powders mentioned by KYjon were to be loaded with a shot load. They would be dangerous with a shot load, but probably not dangerous with a load of Cream of Wheat.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Stan, realizing that you have a streak of McGyver/DIY, Rocky Mountain Cartridge sells minimum orders of 20 brass shells ranging in .25" increases of length, 2" to 3" from $85 to $94. They have machined primer pockets for shotgun primers. They are precision made, one at a time, to .410 specs. Gil

I'm afraid I also have a tetch of frugality in me, that makes me want to do "unnecessary things" on the cheap. If I go down this rabbit hole I'm going to want to go for having at least 100 cases to load. That's the reasoning behind me looking so hard at the Prvi brand ........... low price. I don't mind spending for the best brass (Lapua, IMO) for some of my rifles, but for a shotgun I figure cheap brass should do. My concern about other brands is that the rim thicknesses on all of them may not be the same, and one might work without thinning whereas another may not.

I have contacted PPU (Prvi USA) about sending me one case to try. They may not, but I figure it's worth a try.

Thanks, Gil.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
I believe the RMC cases will be the full thickness of a paper shell. I know that is the case for their 10 gauge brass, which I bought years ago. Undoubtedly, they can make them thinner, but I think that would be a custom job. Nicely, they will put whatever you want on the headstamp.

If Stan wants a single case, he can buy a Norma case from Buffalo Arms. There won't be much variation from on maker to another.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.