Jon and the group here know their stuff. I sent some Martini Henry's to the USA from Afghanistan 15 years ago and recall the process. But to confirm, here is my correspondence with ATF on the issue:

-- From the regulation ATF sent, however, it looks as if any centerfire or rimfire gun, no matter the date of manufacture, would have to get ATF approval. That's what I had to do with the Martini-Henry's. That was fairly straight forward; I sent a form filled out with photos of the gun to ATF. Within a month I got a replay back enabling me to mail therm through the APO. I have sent an email to ATF to confirm this.

Query: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Sirs: I am considering buying a SxS shotgun from Holt’s auction in UK. It is an E,M Reilly 16 gauge made in 1886. Holt’s now can handle exports to the USA from UK including obtaining export permits from the UK. I do not have an FFL and in the past have used a firearms importer in Colorado.

However, I am wondering since the shotgun is pre 1898 whether Holt's could send it via Fedex directly to me in northern Virginia? It so are there import duties? How would these be paid? If necessary I could get an importer again if I opt to buy the gun but would like to avoid the expense and inevitable delays.

Thanks for your assistance.

ATF Answer: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Good morning,

If the firearm is an antique per the ATF Federal Firearm Regulations, a permit is not required from our office. You will likely need to prove to CBP that the firearm is, in fact, an antique.

As it pertains to dues and how these are paid; those are questions for CBP.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives Imports Branch
304-616-4550
imports@atf.gov

Last edited by Argo44; 03/16/23 01:13 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch