Thanks Jon and if I were to buy something, everything said here is a perfect primer.

Now the problem for a Reilly (or just about any 1800's gun): CBP will accept a certificate of authenticity or bill of sale with the year the antique firearm was manufactured as proof of age.

There is unlikely to be a "certificate of authenticity" or "bill of sale" for most of these guns (unless auction houses could be persuaded to issue one). There are, however, academic studies and extant records on many makers (Henry, Purdey, William Evans, Pape, H&H,
Church, etc) which probably could help authenticate the age.

For a lot of English guns though there is nothing except efforts by individuals to bring back semblance of order to history. Blanch has the efforts of Toby Barclay. For Reilly, though, there is only my own research (which has now been accepted and is being used to date Reilly's by most major auction houses). There is this version in Vintagegunjournal from 2020. which might work:
https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/dating-your-reilly-gun-or-rifle

However, it is now out of date. I'll need to publish something with an updated dating list so Reilly buyers have something to present to customs. Working on it.

Last edited by Argo44; 03/17/23 11:17 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch