Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Ted,

Not for grouse, but for other things. Gamefarm birds over dogs, passing doves (or even ducks!), shooting at Whittington, etc. I think that would be great fun.

If (a big if) I were to achieve something of a mastery of the form and I had a good sense of it...and perhaps if I could find one where I could bridge the hammers properly(?), then... maybe grouse. I can't imagine that happening (nothing could be quicker than my brummy 16) but... but it might be neat to try it again.

Well thought out, Lloyd. Hammer guns work very well for doves, and ducks in most situations, and obviously for clays. Perhaps a way to achieve a level of comfort at cocking the hammers at the flush would be to shoot informal skeet, and instruct the puller to throw the bird at will or maybe with a delay after you call for it, then sweep the hammers back as you mount. Two of my hammer guns are doubles and I can sweep them both safely back, even though I have small hands for a man my height, but if I wanted to try one of them on flushing birds I would definitely need to practice what I preach.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

May God bless America and those who defend her.