Good tips. I thank you all.

I get the cleaning tip. I have been on the end of somebody telling me a gun was “cleaned” and dismantling the thing to find filth everywhere it shouldn’t be. This gun was dismantled, by me, and the bits scrubbed, lubed and reassembled. Which, it didn’t need-it was my Father’s, a guy who taught every nuance of rifle craft to Marines over 22 years of active duty. He was anal about gun cleaning. A few of the various springs in the gun look aged (they are old) and there are no replacement parts in the gun, it is as Remington sold it 76 years ago.

This is a recent phenomenon. I don’t remember this happening when we were kids shooting with my Dad.

I, too, find the 241 to be much superior to the Browning SA 22. The 241 isn’t as accurate as my 581, or, my 552, but, it is accurate enough. “Minute of Orange” dad used to say. A takedown design is always at a disadvantage in that regard.

I will look into your suggestions at the bench, when time allows. Perhaps sooner, as the kid is pestering me to get it 100%.

Thanks again.

Best,
Ted