Bob,
Yes, that is what I mean, the barrel blanks are inserted from the front and there is a "shoulder" that bumps against the block. The "tenon"(for want of a better word) including the chamber is straight, not tapered. Here, some people thread the parts, but this is not necessary. I am a poor filer and am in awe of the abilities of the gunmakers in Germany, at that time. The barrel fitter I mentioned even polished with a file. It was a very fine cut file and he loaded it with chalk, which he oiled. If they were making a new gun, they did a significant part of the receiver shaping with chisels as well as files. When I go into the websites of these same companies, the sons and grandsons of the ones I knew have all gone to CNC machines for most of the work. Files would still be used for a lot of the finishing work. I always wondered how they fit the side clips on pre-war guns and one of my friends told me he was an apprentice in his grandfather's factory (Meffert) in 1938, with the job of peining the side clips. His description told me the barrels were machined in the area and the actual side clips were formed by moving the metal into the area by hammer. Now it makes sense.
Mike