Always good to hear of a somewhat happy ending.

I sold a custom built, Hawken style muzzleloader to a guy. I broke it down, carefully packaged it, and shipped it via UPS. When it was delivered, the buyer called to tell me that it was severely damaged. The box literally looked like it had been folded in half. The box was beat up, and the stock was cracked and broken beyond repair. I had him take multiple pictures with a date stamp. Then the local UPS in his area examined it and I started the claim process. After that was done, I had him send those images, rifle, and packaging back to me and I gave him a full refund while I waited on the claim. Neither of us was happy.

To no surprise they would not accept my value. Like Brian, I had originally purchased the rifle well over a decade and a half ago. I used the current sale price receipt, and the current price off of the builder's website. UPS denied the claim due to inability to prove value.

I sent all images, a narrative, and correspondence to my State Attorney General's office. After roughly six weeks, UPS paid my claim in full. I am positive it was only due to the AG's inquiry.