May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (375whelenIMP, SKB, Kip, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 279 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,553
Posts546,250
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my case I bought a 20 gauge 21 sold in 1941 as a Field grade. In 1946 it went back to Winchester to have the wood replaced and the gun engraved with the grade 6 pattern.
I paid as if it was a Field grade with non factory engraving since the factory records indicated it was sold as a basic field grade.
After purchasing I was able to get the records from Pauline showing it had been restocked and then engraved by George Ulrich.
I feel that in this case the factory work added some significant value to my gun.
I have since added a 410 and 28 gauge barrel set I purchased in the white. Im not sure how much value the factory engraving added but I like to think
It adds a fair amount I Just hope the added barrels which were done 100% correct will add some substantial value to the gun when it is time to part with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by PhysDoc
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
But one cannot go wrong with "buy what you like". .

You mean like buying a ticket on the submersible Titan to view the Titanic?

Well, I was thinking more like guns, and quarter million ticket would buy a pretty darn nice gun. But if you want to catch a ride on a submersible, be my guest. Drop off those rifles at my place for safe keeping while you are down there. wink

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by NCTarheel
To add to the conversation.....

I know of a Winchester Model 21 that was passed around to several well-known gunsmiths (who do wonderful work) over a period of several years to fix what was thought to be a basic repair issue. But after each of the well-known gunsmiths worked on it, there were continuing issues with the M21 that didn't get "fixed" to the owner's complete satisfaction, so the owner sent the M21 to the "factory" to have the factory work on it. Certainly the factory would resolve all issues and problems. But the factory wasn't able to do any better to straighten things out than the prior individual gunsmiths that had worked on it. Then the owner was told, "If you want the M21 fixed correctly and stop the aggravation once and for all, you need to take it to Gunter Pfrommer....he will fix it, and you will not have any more problems." I was told Gunter identified the issues with the M21 as soon as he inspected the shotgun....and Gunter did the repairs. The owner has never had another issue with that M21's performance.

Frankly, when it comes to repairs...especially complex repairs...I want Gunter Pfrommer or someone with similar training and skills working on my firearms. The factory may make them, but it doesn't mean they're the best to fix them when there is a problem...or restore them.

Many, many smiths fix the symptom. Very few have the knowledge and take the time to discern the originating problem first, fix that and then fix the downstream issues.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by PhysDoc
But one cannot go wrong with "buy what you like". .

You mean like buying a ticket on the submersible Titan to view the Titanic?

Well, I was thinking more like guns, and quarter million ticket would buy a pretty darn nice gun. But if you want to catch a ride on a submersible, be my guest. Drop off those rifles at my place for safe keeping while you are down there. wink
I wouldn't mind taking a trip on that. As long as it didn't have AYA written all over it. I would want it to be original. smile Then again, I could take a Model 21 along and use it as a boat anchor, as Pete Hyatt always called them. smile

Last edited by Jimmy W; 06/26/23 04:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You people are trying to mix apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between the local gunsmith putting a front bead on a gun that has been lost and getting original engraving by one of the Winchester engravers in one of the Winchester patterns. If you look at Steve Barnett's website or Jaqua's or any dealer, they are going to ask LESS for a Model 21 that has engraving that is not the original Winchester pattern. Jaqua's had two Model 21s one had the 21-4 (I believe) that you could see was the Winchester pattern, and another Model 21 that says "custom" that I don't believe is an original Winchester pattern and it has been on there for several months now with a fairly low price. So, I believe that if engraving is original, the dealers are going to ask for a higher. price. And if you can prove it with a letter from Winchester, it will command a higher price............Now, someone might come along and see a gun that has engraving that isn't original, they love the gun, the engraving and the lower price and that found a nice gun. You can't tell that person that they got a crappy gun just because they bought a gun that they are going to enjoy and you don't like it because it's not original........And a lot of guns went back to Winchester and got upgraded and there is no proof that they did so. So, you never know. I would never run down a guy's gun that he enjoys shooting if I notice that the engraving isn't original. I like things original but maybe the next guy doesn't. .

Last edited by Jimmy W; 06/26/23 04:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bob Cash
I gave less than 10.
Factory restocked and restored in 1977.
With a nice 20 gauge going for 8-10, you do the math.
30” Full/Full is pretty tight for Skeet but a scarce desirable set nonetheless.

So back to the original question.
What’s the conventional wisdom on factory work?

I think the time to ask that question would be before buying the gun, not afterward...

... unless you low-balled the seller and offered him less money after telling him the gun was not factory original, and therefore worth less than an original gun with original stock, and had not been refinished.

So the question becomes, what will you say in your advertisements when you flip it for a profit?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
…Then again, I could take a Model 21 along and use it as a boat anchor, as Pete Hyatt always called them. smile
So here’s my 20 gauge Model 21 sporting her 30” barrels. At 6 lbs 11 oz. I can assure you, “boat anchor” she is not.

I have always suspected that most folks who insist on using that vernacular have little or no experience
with Model 21’s or boat anchors for that matter.

1 member likes this: DoubleTake
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty is as pretty does. I will never disparage the gun used by the man who outshoots me.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

…Then again, I could take a Model 21 along and use it as a boat anchor, as Pete Hyatt always called them. smile
So here’s my 20 gauge Model 21 sporting her 30” barrels. At 6 lbs 11 oz. I can assure you, “boat anchor” she is not.

I have always suspected that most folks who insist on using that vernacular have little or no experience
Gorgeous!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Okay, Kayak anchor then... smile smile

As long as you like it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.