September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (LRF, ratt, tanky, Ted Schefelbein, DSchrank, 1 invisible), 244 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,059
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#209943 12/18/10 12:44 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

While I've seen many Holland & Holland Royals and Dominions (admittedly more in photo form) I wonder if anyone out there owns or has ever seen an H & H Climax? It's a cool gun, certainly more attractive than many Dominions, but one doesn't see or hear much about them.

I almost bought one from Jack Dudley back in the La Becasse days (second location). Once in awhile over the years I' ve had a twinge of regret over letting that one get away.

As an aside, I recently did business with Mr Dudley again when I purchased my Chance 14 bore. Still a wonderful, true gentleman to do business with. I bought 2 beauties from the first location and one from the second.....The prices on his stuff were always perfectly appropriate for the gun and its condition. Not a "gouger" ever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Krakow...where is Jack these days???...Cabelas?????
I loved visiting his shop ,Vermont wasn't it, seems such a long time ago that I forget
cheers
Franc

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah, both locations were in Manchester, Vermont.

He's managing the Cabela's gun library in Scarborough Maine these days. it was great to talk to him again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The H&H Climax was essentially a modified Scott "Crystal Cocking Indicator ". It is my under standing ,from the unofficial history of Webley & Scott, that Hollands bought the tooling and rights to the gun from Scotts. They changed the cocking rod from pull to push and did away with the window.

If you compare this gun to a Dominion you can see a direct line of descent. Again the cocking changes to "levers" rather than rods and the Holland/Southgate ejectors added.

It is a long time since I handled one,I sleeved it, but most of the ones in the UK that I have seen are pretty well shot out and are mainly collectors items , although I have no doubt some one will tell me otherwise.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, gunman - That's why I get those twinges of regret now and then from letting it slip through my fingers. It was in really nice condition, and though a little steep for me at the time (but not REALLY, you know?), I really should have bought it.

That was the great thing about dealing with Jack. He was(is) a completely honest gentleman, would take the time to talk all you wanted about a gun you were interested in, and sell it at a fair price.

To tell you the truth, I see Royals and Dominions these days that have NO aesthetic appeal and ARE shot to hell, but still carry a hefty price tag. That Climax would put them to shame, truth be told.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

What happened to LaBecasse guns?

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always assumed the H&H Climax action was a variant of Scott's "Triplex" action. The "Triplex" was used on many gunmakers' guns including my 1886 Reilly 16 bore (shown with Diggory's hand) (there is a Scott patent use number on the gun but otherwise no Scott markings).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Holland and Holland advertised the "Triplex Action" it in the early 1880's:
Holland & Holland 1882 ad for Scott “Triplex Action.” 14 February 1882, “The Sportsman”

Gunman explained what the "Climax"action was all about and how H&H modified. Here is a 16 ga H&H Climax action which to my uneducated eyes sure looks similar to the "Triplex" right down to the crystal cocking Indicator.
https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...d-16-ga-climax-safety-hammerless-shotgun

Last edited by Argo44; 07/28/23 07:54 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
2 members like this: campero, BrentD, Prof
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Scott it is a very well made gun .the fit and finish on the inside is as good to as any gun I have seen.it is 1880s

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you take the chronological order you can trace the development to the gun we know as the H&H Dominion .From pull rod cocking to push rod cocking . Then to more convectional cocking dogs/limbs/ lifters ( take your choice of term)

Kip Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought I read somewhere that the Climax was an example of badge engineering and was mostly/entirely made by W&C Scott, but I can't remember which book. Will go searching...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.