June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
9 members (Lloyd3, craigd, fallschirmjaeger, ithaca1, 2 invisible), 214 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,161
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
AZMike Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the views Gents! I'll probably go with Mark's Guns as the gun show and internet exposure seems to work. I think when a potential buyer can hold and possible shoot a gun he's interested in a lot of the "sales pitch" isn't needed. Tell the customer just how cool he looks holding the "beautiful" shotgun!
I was just fishing for trends in the markets.
I do know that without all the old goats eating out the American restaurant industry would fold. Pensioners and retirees should be insulated from some of the economic woes of Joe's Economy. Hopefully they are still buying cool guns to leave their grandsons!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a good experience this past June with LS&B disposing of 17 random impulse buys that had been accumulated for almost two decades. True, the premium is on the seller only, but the ease of dealing with them was worth it to me--and has been noted, especially the pick-up service borne at their expense. Registered mailing by me would have cost a pile of money. I asked the man in charge of pick-up if they discriminate and refuse to take guns they are presented and he said "no" and recounted when one pick up was for 800 guns owned by one man. I'm sure there were some beauts in that group. Gil

GLS #633967 08/09/23 08:21 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
I had a good experience this past June with LS&B disposing of 17 random impulse buys that had been accumulated for almost two decades. True, the premium is on the seller only, but the ease of dealing with them was worth it to me--and has been noted, especially the pick-up service borne at their expense. Registered mailing by me would have cost a pile of money. I asked the man in charge of pick-up if they discriminate and refuse to take guns they are presented and he said "no" and recounted when one pick up was for 800 guns owned by one man. I'm sure there were some beauts in that group. Gil

What does LS&B charge the seller, percentage wise?

I moved over 80 guns, two safes, multiple reloading presses, scopes, and reloading supplies through a local auctioneer and was totally pleased with the deal. Now, even local auction houses are selling nationally thanks to things like proxibid. In this case, he was the right guy, in the right place, at the right time. I think he charged us about 15% as I recall.

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 08/09/23 08:21 AM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

25% is LS&B fee to seller. Gil

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

az's post points out a major weakness in selling on line...that is, the inabilty for the buyer to see, touch and then thereby fall in love with the product...digital images do help, sorta like lookin at pitchers in ah girlie mag...and, it is difficult to negotiate price via remote control...once a deal is done, it then becomes a leap of faith on the part of the buyer and the seller to make it happen...

on the other hand, gls points out a major advantage of sellling via an internet based sales service...that is the hugh number of prospect exposures generated by on line activity...however, selling by remote control for top dollar requires sharply honed people skills...but the old truism still applies...people buy from people they like...and trust...

Last edited by ed good; 08/09/23 12:36 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

My problem is I'm a sucker for a project gun. I'm always looking at guns that I think are deals and then spend too much money fixing and restoring back.
At this time, I'm looking at a Purdey bar action hammer gun that is sleeved to 28", knowing I will be spending another thousand to get it to where I want it to be. That decision is still pending at this moment.
I also have a 1898 Lang pigeon hammer gun out for restoration, It has 32" sleeved barrels. I probably will be selling it this fall to pay for the Purdey.
So it goes, round and round and never stopping.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

generally, one does not get into a project gun for profit...

it is more like an investment in the joy that comes when you make something of value, even more of value...

enjoy...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have noticed that in the recent pass the interest in older guns and side by sides is rather lacking. The newer, younger crowd is mainly interested in handguns and assault rifles. So this is what the stores are mainly selling. The day before yesterday I went to four gun stores where I am and I did not see one side by side. The stores that used to sell side by sides that I used to frequent are switching their inventory for the newer crowd.

This is why companies like Winchester and Remington are no longer making primers for shotgun Reloaders. Because the interest is on handguns and rifles so that is where they are selling their reloading equipment.

I had one good friend who was a collector and he passed away 2 years ago. His wife has been stuck with all his older guns. He was a big Model 12 fan. And he probably had 10 or 12 of them. He had an AH Fox and several Sterlingworths and a lot of other guns posted on the bulletin board at our club. Another guy was selling them for his wife and she had had them appraised.. He had many old Colt handguns also. I don't believe he even sold one. He was a trap shooter and had several trap guns also. Now the guy who was selling them for her passed away in June . None of them ever sold. So now his wife is stuck with probably 100 guns and can't get rid of them. Years ago I traded him out of the only Model 21 that he had.

Stores like Field and Stream and Dick's don't even sell guns anymore because of the new anti gun crowd. And I am waiting for Bass Pro and the rest of the gun stores to stop selling them also here soon. It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Stores are getting away from Trading used guns also. So it's going to be hard to find someone who tries to sell a side-by-side to a gun store.

You can get on the internet and buy them from places like Guns International or Gunbroker.com or some other website but they are going to be priced out the ying yang. That model 21 that is rusted all to pieces that Jaqua's has for sale right now is a prime example. Who in the world would be crazy enough to pay $3,250 for that gun that I pointed out in another thread? I'm waiting to see how long it takes for that gun to sell. Their other model 21s have been sitting there for sale for months and months. I check them just about every day.

So for me, the Side by Side Market has been a big disappointment unless you are looking for a CZ coach hammer gun. So I guess we'll just have to see.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 08/10/23 11:57 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had little problems selling several low end, >$1000, SxS's, but condition is everything, In the last couple years I have moved a couple of Nitro Specials (12 & 16ga), 2 Field grade Flues (12 &20ga), a W&S M 700 12ga and a no-name German Lefaucheaux 16ga.

All were sold on BBS For Sale forums.

The only outlier is the best condition of the bunch, a Grade 1 NID 12E, no love....

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Jimmy W]I have noticed that in the recent pass the interest in older guns and side by sides is rather lacking. The newer, younger crowd is mainly interested in handguns and assault rifles. So this is what the stores are mainly selling. The day before yesterday I went to four gun stores where I am and I did not see one side by side. The stores that used to sell side by sides that I used to frequent are switching their inventory for the newer crowd.

I had one good friend who was a collector and he passed away 2 years ago. His wife has been stuck with all his older guns. He was a big Model 12 fan. And he probably had 10 or 12 of them. He had an AH Fox and several Sterlingworths and a lot of other guns posted on the bulletin board at our club. Another guy was selling them for his wife and she had had them appraised.. He had many old Colt handguns also. I don't believe he even sold one. He was a trap shooter and had several trap guns also. Now the guy who was selling them for her passed away in June . None of them ever sold. So now his wife is stuck with probably 100 guns and can't get rid of them. Years ago I traded him out of the only Model 21 that he had.

/quote]

There are a number of reputable gun only auction houses out there that MIGHT be able/willing to take the entire collection of her hands presuming most of the guns are at least in decent condition.

I've bought from http://www.poulinantiques.com/ and http://www.amoskeagauction.com and always been happy with my live auction purchases. I know Amoskeag will occasionally send a truck around parts of the country to pick up collections large and small depending on their route and what the owner has.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/ in Illinois is closer to her than either Poulin (Maine) or Amoskeag (New Hampshire), but tends to run overall to more expensive guns.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.