Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
i don't know where you guys are at, but it's a tall order to sell field grade (common years ago) sxs's.
Local gun stores want no part of them.
How often does a gun peddler immediately come off his price by 25% just to see if he can get a nibble?

Then again I know of two gunshops in KC with doubles in abundance and they move them too.

While local markets in many areas maybe be slow, I believe Keith has hit it on the head, good condition properly listed and priced will sell. As he points out Overpriced guns do not move, I too have watched long examples of this.

The good condition $400 Sterlingworth I brought in 1985 in the same condition is a $1500>2000 gun today. This is reflected in Ed’s posts too.

The current and coming supply of lower end 12 ga guns from Europe may depress the market price for 12 ga BLE/BLNE by filling the market, they will also expand interest in vintage SXS; a gateway drug so to say. The flood is similar to the rush of surplus military arms after Reagan’s rule changes.

The supply of mid and higher end vintage SXS guns is such that they have not and will not decline in value except by use or abuse.

Lastly as earlier put in Keith’s post money made on a gun is predicated on a good purchase price, over pay and money will be lost down the road. A smart buyer who pays attention to condition and value can avoid a big loss. Most of us insist on learning through mistakes, which I call gun rent, but if you study a bit, control your emotions, you will do ok.

I was once concerned about the future value of doubleguns, but I am more concerned about the future of hunting opportunities. My only caveat on vintage SXS values is if the anti-gun crowd slickly sell no lead as they have in the people’s republic of CA. It is a fight we all need to pay attention to.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS