To me its a lot like the ethics of handicapping in sports. The market hunters killed enough waterfowl and other birds to allow many rules to take effect. They got handicapped by bag limits, season lengths, and restrictions on equipment. Populations of canvasbacks and other birds recovered for benefit of sportsmen and other bird lovers. Then came smokeless powder, autoloading shotguns, outboard motors, lightweight boats, plastic decoys, shot cups, synthetic insulation, etc. It became easier and more comfortable to get birds in close and kill them at longer ranges. So I feel for ethical reasons alone the handicapping of hunters by the three-shell limit, establishment of zones, refuges and rest areas was justified for the continuation of sport hunting and acceptance by the public. Now that lead shot, lead-acid batteries, lead paint, etc. have been found to cause heath problems in humans and birds alike, I do not object to the conversion to non-toxic shot. If birds could shoot, it would be like moving them forward a few yards at the trap range.