Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by JBLondon
I recently replaced the hard plastic butt plate on a BSS 12 ga to get more LOP and a little cushion for factory loads. The extra length moved my cheek weld to a thicker part of the stock and now I can't hit anything with it. The gun points to the left severely when mounted. Now going to have to thin down the butt with a rasp and then refinish the stock. Yes, I could have it bent but don't think I will.
You should be able to check around and get another stock for that gun. Or couldn't you just go back to the original butt plate?

Well, a replacement stock would put me back where I was - with a gun that's too short and for some reason beats up my shoulder when I shoot it with 1oz target loads. This one is a 12 gauge 'magnum' with 30" barrels and handles like a (heavy) oar. Strictly a boat gun. I want to use it for waterfowl loads that are much hotter so feeling like I need the decelerator type pad. This gun has been bothering me for a refinish anyway since a previous owner had stripped the gloss finish and then did a poor finish of perhaps a walnut penetrating oil. So I haven't liked it and taking a rasp to get a better fit doesn't bother me with this one. Much of my shooting is with 19th century guns and this one is for modern ammo and when conditions perhaps are not going to be ideal.