Originally Posted by ChiefAmungum
Just got back to reality! 5 weeks in MN hunting Ruffs and Pheasant. What a great year for Grouse, outstanding at least where I was. To the OP's question, shot all grouse with a Cyl. choked 1100 and a SKB 100 choked SK/Mod, both in 20Ga. Shot wild pheasants with the same guns. Number 6 shot for all. High end copper plated 1 Oz. for the Pheasants though. My usually pointing sometimes flushing dog at least stayed close enough, mostly! Was excellent on retrieves, the best part!
Ted, no need to wait for a freeze, slews are dry, leather boot dry. Now the Vikings? Well, you know.

Chief

Glad to hear you had a good trip. I had a most enjoyable 1 week trip for grouse up near the Canadian border. Been years since I’ve seen bird numbers like this year.

I’ve hunted a spot in Steele and Waseca counties for most of my life. The slew on that property runs 6-8 feet deep, with islands of cover that are unreachable unless it is frozen. After the corn is out, you know exactly where the birds will be, and few bird hunters have the gumption to walk the ice and cat tails to get out there and do it. It is spooky if it isn’t well frozen, but, nirvana if the conditions are right.

I thought I’d get across it in hip waders one time, when I was younger, and got a cold surprise.

Deer season is in full swing at the moment, I’ll get the property cleaned up and take care of the paperwork to keep my son in his last year of private, catholic school this weekend. Pheasant season doesn’t really begin in my world until deer season is over, and it cools down.

Best,
Ted