September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (JulesW, Walter C. Snyder, Perry M. Kissam, 1 invisible), 475 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,846
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DropLockBob
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by DropLockBob
I've had a couple of 1903's over the years, one was a sporter in .35 whelen. Never liked that rifle much, it seemed to have headspace issues. Got rid of it. I much prefer a good mauser or pre-64 model 70, or an FN, or an interarms ml10, Anything but the 1903. a piss poor copy of the real thing, at best. I have a lovely 7x57 sporter built on a G33/40 action. My favorite.

Dad said with a Garand you’d get ‘em all. Sniper instructor, USMC 7th rifle corps, NARTS, Dover NJ. 22 years active duty, 8 years reservist.

I like a lot of different guns, but, couldn’t imagine carrying a Garand around for 30 years.

Cool picture, by the way.

Best,
Ted

Thanks, Ted. Wish my pop was still here. I have a nice DCM garand with a 1944 date. Massive improvement over the 1903. Your Dad was a marine sniper instructor, or was it you? very cool.

My Dad. He was orphaned in 1929, and orphans joined the military back then. He told my brother and I that he did enough service for both of us, and to not feel obligated to enlist like he did. That said, he loved his Corps.

Dad has been gone awhile. Miss him terribly this time of year.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: Parabola, DropLockBob
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Parabola is spot-on about his earlier assessment here of non-fluid steel guns. Anything that takes three men something-like two days (and over 30-lbs of metal) to make captures vast-amounts of human focus and energy. If any firearm has "soul" it is because of this large investment of human time, combined with that other set of intangibles...the "art & skill" to create it. That is what I see when I look at fine damascus guns. It's not that the modern stuff misses me (it clearly doesn't) but when I view and then handle an artifact (from arguably two centuries ago now) that still functions perfectly as designed, and with all of that "art" and "skill" on full-display, I'm sensing something else going on too. Is that how "soul" is defined? For me, I suppose it is.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/18/23 02:23 PM.
4 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Parabola, Karl Graebner, DropLockBob
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brand, spankin’ new vice you got there.

It’ll go good with your others vice's. Enjoy.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, while we have photo and video evidence of Damascus Barrel Makers laboriously forge welding barrels one at a time, it seems evident that as time passed, barrel makers were able to find ways to streamline or eliminate a lot of the tedious and time consuming hand labor. The late DoubleGunShop member Pete Mikalajunas, who probably knew more about Damascus barrels than any man alive or dead, explained to us how the process evolved from a couple skilled blacksmiths working small forging operations, to large operations like Laurent Lochet-Habran (LLH) or Heuse-Riga Fils (H.R.F.) being able to economically produce literally millions of Damascus tubes. To a large degree, the small hammers anvils, and forges were replaced by steam and water powered trip hammers and hot rolling mills. It's a crying shame that Pete's Damascus website died when he died.

Originally Posted by PeteM
Originally Posted by El Garro
Originally Posted by the Preacher
And BTW we're STILL waiting for one of our British correspondents to find the British Damascus Rosetta Stone wink

Only if you tell us how Pieper managed to get his name in the pattern smile

Very simple, he paid the rolling mill to do it! There is a general myth which goes something to the effect that each barrel maker made the pattern. That is simply not the case. The rolling mill would schedule runs of the patterns it had orders for. The barrel smith would pay the mill for the ribbons they needed. The barrel smith would then forge them into complete barrels

This accounts for the volume of damascus barrels produced by the Belgians. At the Curtius Museum (Mus�e Curtius) in Liege are 2 films spliced into one that are constantly running showing the complete process from rolling mill to final gun.

As for Pieper, I am confident he never stood at an anvil in his life. cool

Pete

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by PeteM
Well, after a lot of negotiating I was able to acquire the 1924 film, as most are aware. I was stunned during my visit last year to discover there is a 1934 version. It shows not only the barrel makers, but also the large slabs of red hot damascus flowing through the rolling mill. There is no way they will discuss releasing that 1934 film.

I did acquire a recent book from Belgium that documents much of this. If my math is close, the billets started out, 4.5 meters long by 1.285 wide by .713 high. This weighed 71 pounds more or less depending on the patterns iron to steel mix. (I have heard that at one time the billets were 2x this size.) After initial rolling it was cut to 50cm (19.6") long by 14cm wide (5.5") by 3.05cm (1.2") high. This secondary billet weighed close to 36 pounds. This would produce approximately 9 barrels. The rolling mill was using approximately 42 tons of pressure.

They had a set monthly schedule for producing various types of damascus. The mill paid a royalty to the patent holder for each pattern. This cost was passed on to the barrel makers. The barrel makers had to place their order for the stock patterns in advance. Special patterns, like "Remington" embedded into the damascus were billed based on time and labor.

Pete

Having spent years working in industrial maintenance and automation, I'm certain that the process could be even further mechanized and automated, with CNC robots stacking billets or lopins, and computer controlled mills and forging presses doing even more of the work of rolling and twisting ribbands. And I am just as confident that we will never see this sort of mass production of Damascus, because it would still be extremely costly in a time when even fluid steel replacement barrels cost five figures, and there just aren't enough of us who appreciate it, or could afford it. I've read that even a farm implement mostly machine made L.C. Smith shotgun had something like a full month of hand labor involved in its' production. And that explains to me why even they have more "soul" than any modern CNC machined and laser engraved gun ever will.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I took the William Powell and Colt 1883 out shooting 5 stand today. December 19, and it was 50 degrees, sunny and no wind. I had just gotten the Colt and wanted to shoot it. What a great time, even with the drop on the stock, I was able to bust a bunch of clays.

Looking at them in the rack and on the table, I still get charged with the look of damascus. The Powell is still a nicer gun with the hammers, but I shot as well with the Colt today.

I still had a hard time dealing with this weather in December…

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
2 members like this: Parabola, DropLockBob
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Having spent years working in industrial maintenance and automation, I'm certain that the process could be even further mechanized and automated, with CNC robots stacking billets or lopins, and computer controlled mills and forging presses doing even more of the work of rolling and twisting ribbands. And I am just as confident that we will never see this sort of mass production of Damascus, because it would still be extremely costly in a time when even fluid steel replacement barrels cost five figures, and there just aren't enough of us who appreciate it, or could afford it. I've read that even a farm implement mostly machine made L.C. Smith shotgun had something like a full month of hand labor involved in its' production. And that explains to me why even they have more "soul" than any modern CNC machined and laser engraved gun ever will."

What do you think of Purdey's work with modern damascus produced by this firm: https://damasteel.se/
https://www.purdey.com/pages/our-bespoke-models-the-damascus-gun

NRA life member

Retired investor, living on a pension.
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the Purdeys, I love the Damascus on the barrels, but I’m not a fan of it on the action. Regardless, it’s great to see them bringing it back into gunmaking.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

earlyriser: I would tend to agree with your assessment. The barrels look great, the action looks weird. Pre-conceived notions perhaps?

When I first started shooting damascus-barrelled guns in the early-mid 90s, the response from my fellow shooters was always interesting, "aren't those things dangerous?" were the usual first-words out of their mouths. Terry Wieand wrote a great article about all the fuss around then as well (he shoots damascus guns too, or at least he did, [https://www.grayssportingjournal.com/damascus/]). With this last gun now coming, it'll be 6 of them over the years. The first one was an American gun (1901 Lefever G-grade Syracuse gun) with the rest being British. I have another American gun in the hands of my favorite 'smith right now (yet another agricultural instrument, a Quality 1 "transitional" LC Smith from 1891) having it's English laminated-steel tubes refinished back to their original "black & white" (it's a heavy brute and will be used mainly for targets). Whether "Black and White" or "Browned", I find them all intriguing to handle and then shoot. I'd already pretty much satisfied myself that the good ones were perfectly safe when the Sherman Bell "Finding Out For Myself" articles were published in the Doublegun Journal in the late 90s, fully cementing the deal for me. I alway, always, always measure the tubes for wall-thickness myself first before firing them (using the tool that I've used for the last 12-15 years now, down at the MW Reynolds shop) as I never entirely-trust my safety to anybody else's assessments. After that, I use them with abandon, but... only on the nicer days (I hate rust) and then only with appropriate loads (about 8,000 psi pressures at the max). In the very early days, I even handloaded black-powder shells for them(!) but the minute I identified some of the many proper nitro loads for them (i.e. RST), I never looked back. To be frank, I worry more about the 100-plus year old wood in these guns than I do about their braided tubes.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/20/23 04:01 PM.
1 member likes this: earlyriser
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
earlyriser: I would tend to agree with your assessment. The barrels look great, the action looks weird. Pre-conceived notions perhaps?

I would think it was done simply to illustrate the potential of the Damasteel medium, a show gun. I don't like it much either.

Love your comments, but what are your thoughts on Damasteel? https://damasteel.se/ Have a look at the patterns they can produce, consider the possibilities.

Modern, mass produced damascus. No issues with strength, or so I understand.

NRA life member

Retired investor, living on a pension.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DropLockBob: The knives are really sharp (I have several) and all Damascus looks good to me (for some reason?).

It's my understanding that even the infamous Viking swords of the Middle-ages were treasured because they were Damascus as well. How Damascus steel (or Wootz steel) ended-up in nowhere Scandinavia way-back then is quite the mystery to me (I'm sure there's some theory about it all somewhere). Damascus is pretty neat stuff and I'm glad somebody is still making things with it. More power to them.

1 member likes this: DropLockBob
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.