Pete, I always enjoy your posts. Engraving on my gun ? I wonder if one could search the Meriden and closeby records for engravers. I am sure that all of the Aubrey and Meriden guns I have seen had the same person doing the birds at least. All are fat, small winged, good eating birds for sure. This gun has the background taken out for the scroll, ala Holland and Holland, and unlike most scroll which is cut in. But, the birds are the same as described above. In the back of my mind I seem to remember some discussion years ago about the Aubrey engraver, but I cannnot "pull it up".

As to the Damascus barrels being in short supply, I have correspondence from Baker Gun and Forging Co. with a potential client stating that their gun production is very slow due to the unrest in Europe and the resultant barrel shortage. I think this was in the 1913 period. I do know some companies had large supplies of barrel blanks, but Baker was not among them. I think Fluid Steel blanks from overseas were affected as well, so it was not the shortage of the composite blanks as much as it was the shortage of all blanks.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 10/30/07 04:16 PM.