Originally Posted by LeFusil
What exactly is a “S&W” action? I didn’t know that Skimmin & Wood developed their own proprietary action. A modified S&W action? What makes a S&W action different? What is a hallmark or identifying feature of a S&W action?

Fuse, you're asking me? Remember your proclamation that I don't know anything? That's a lot of not knowing, so why are you asking me? Have you forgotten already? It's pretty easy to figure out actually. If you look at a few S&W guns you can figure it out. There are some Purdey, H&H (I think), and maybe it was a Wesley Richards 2" guns that are NOT S&W actions that I have looked at.

In my experience….the JA markings are for Joseph Asbury’s. Asbury’s probably made the entire gun. Possibly delivering it in the white or even fully finished. I can be almost certain that the action is marked with a JA as well. I’ve had various JA guns on my bench…some have Greener lever work, others have had Scott spindles, I currently own a Linsley Bros that is a JA made gun…it has a very odd spindle system in it where it uses a pin mounted in the spindle, and the leg of the top lever spring rest on that pin. Odd. I’ve never seen another like it.

Very nice to hear about all your wonderful guns. The two JA guns that I have owned, did/do not not have JA anywhere else on the guns. I can't tell you whose spindle design was used, but then I don't know anything, right? It's my understanding that he did the barrel work, but perhaps not everything else.

Maybe you should quit reading my posts... Thanks.

PS. Nice Merkel, eh?

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 01/05/24 09:10 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]