June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Mike Harrell, SKB, playing hooky, battle, 1 invisible), 181 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,177
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
I remember Dr. Gaddy discussing a test he did. He made two rectangular pieces of steel, then color case hardened them. He put one piece in a window sill and the other in a drawer or similar. After an extended period of time, he put them side by side. There was no difference in color.

Thanks, Daryl. I did not remember that. If it satisfied Dr. Gaddy I'm comfortable with that, too. Amazing though, how old wives' tales can persist.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No arguement from me Stan, just opinion. I'm plenty satisfied that there are different types of oxidation, the most obvious, being pulling out somethng that's been in the back of a dark drawer, that has rust on it. As a protectant, not lubricant, oil has the role of resisting the formation of the wrong type of oxides? I'll go with Dr Gaddy on this, but at the same time, a remaining question is, why aren't original colors, common place. Extended period of time? Some of us might have an example or two of acquiring something that was ninety years old, and is now fifty percent older. Whatever causes patina, seems to be a slow process?

Again, I'll go with Dr Gaddy on this, but visual changes due to oxidation affect most things around us. How does this one process, without strict controls, escape untouched? I have no skin in the game to perpetuate wives' tales. If I am not mistaken, the science says a steel/iron surface needs to have a hundred percent coverage of certain oxides, to be able to resist the formation of additional oxides.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I discussed Dr. Gaddy's experiment with sunlight and color case hardening colors above. That was his experience with his method of color case hardening. One must realize that there must be many variations to the methods of color case hardening and the steels used.

My interest over the years has often been with shotguns by Baker Gun and Forging Company. Their method of color case hardening in later years produced very pretty colors of robin's egg blue etc. Sometimes when these case colors are worn or faded, the underlying metal looks to almost be plated , maybe like a nickel or almost chrome shine. I am assuming that this shine came from the polish given prior to coloring.

After Baker Gun and Forging Company sold the gun making business to H D Folsom in 1919, a different process was used in color case hardening Baker marked guns. This process had darker colors and seems to have been more durable colors than most other guns of the time. It is not uncommon to see examples of these guns with still vibrant colors, although the rest of the guns show wear. I do not know what process they used, but it was extremely durable.

Lefever Arms [non Ithaca] consistently used a method resulting in very pretty color case hardening. Guns showing wear often have better remaining colors on the sideplates than on the gun frames. I am assuming that this was caused by a different composition steel being used on the sideplates than on the frames.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 01/17/24 11:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As always your expertise is appreciated Daryl

This is the highest case color Baker image I have; a c. 1910 R grade

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Some Smiths had a bit of 'mud' behind the colors

Hunter Arms Fulton

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect that the loss of case colors over time is a combination of several things. Surface contact with skin and gloves, oxidation of the surface caused by humidity, moisture and the various air pollutants we all get exposed to (automobile exhaust, stack emissions, volatile organics, etc.), & contact of a said surface with "life in general" (the baize in a gun case, the lining of a gun slip, the material on a car seat, etc.)

My little Dickenson Estate .410/28 had vivid case colors when I first got it (shockingly so! Way better than what I expected for what I paid) but... with use over the accumulating years (7-8?) it has noticeably faded. The colors are still present but they aren't nearly as vivid as they once were (I suspect that there may be even a natural "fading" process going on here as well). I suppose I could have prevented that by never using it but....why the hell not? It was a relatively inexpensive Turkish gun that I bought to use and learn about. To not use it completely defeats the purpose of having it. Does sunlight take it's toll? I would suspect that it does (clothing set into a display in the front of a store fades over time like you would not believe), along with all of the other "weathering" components of life. Automotive finishes have been engineered over generations to resist such "weathering" forces. I suspect that a traipse through the chemistry of automotive paints and coatings would give one a start into understanding how such things really happen. Sunlight is a very powerful force in this world, so I wouldn't dismiss it out-of-hand because of an anecdotal experiment that Dr. Gaddy performed on one occasion and over a limited period of time. That's not a knock on Oscar Gaddy (as I'm a big fan of his work) but I suspect that he was occupied with bigger things.

It would be useful to understand what the "primary forces" were in the loss of these wonderful gun finishes over time so one could take the necessary steps to reduce or prevent it. Coating the case-hardened surfaces in a protective finish seems to be somewhat effective (otherwise gunmakers over the years wouldn't have gone to the time & trouble). There seems to be lots of room for additional growth & understanding here, so who's going to be the next "Dr. Gaddy"?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/17/24 12:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
I suspect that the loss of case colors over time is a combination of several things. Surface contact with skin and gloves, oxidation of the surface caused by humidity, moisture and the various air pollutants we all get exposed to (automobile exhaust, stack emissions, volatile organics, etc.), contact of a said surface with "life in general" (the baize in a gun case, the lining of a gun slip, the material on a car seat, etc.)

My little Dickenson Estate .410/28 had vivid case colors when I first got it (shockingly so! Way better than what I expected for what I paid) but... with use over the accumulating years (7-8?) it has noticeably faded. The colors are still present but they aren't nearly as vivid as they once were (I suspect that there may be even a natural "fading" process going on here as well). I suppose I could have prevented that by never using it but....why the hell not? It was a relatively inexpensive Turkish gun that I bought to use and learn about. To not use it completely defeats the purpose of having it. Does sunlight take it's toll? I would suspect that it does (clothing set into a display in the front of a store fades over time like you would not believe), along with all of the other "weathering" components of life. Automotive finishes have been engineered over generations to resist such "weathering" forces. I suspect that a traipse through the chemistry of automotive paints and coatings would give one a start into understanding how such things really happen. Sunlight is a very powerful force in this world, I wouldn't dismiss it out-of-hand because of an anecdotal experiment that Dr. Gaddy performed on one occasion and over a limited period of time. That's not a knock on Oscar Gaddy (as I'm a big fan of his work) but I suspect that he was occupied with bigger things.

It would be useful to understand what the "primary forces" were in the loss of these wonderful gun finishes over time so one could take the necessary steps to reduce or prevent it. Coating the case-hardened surfaces in a protective finish seems to be somewhat effective (otherwise gunmakers over the years wouldn't have gone to the time & trouble). There seems to be lots of room for additional growth & understanding here, so who's going to be the next "Dr. Gaddy"?
I remember all the discussions about case coloring and one person on here said that he had a gun that sat in the corner of a room where the sun shone one it. And the sun removed the case coloring on the side of gun where the sun shined on it. I remember one person who kept insisting that the sun faded case coloring. (But I won't say who it is). Picture it this way: If a rusty nail sits out in the sun, will the sun remove the rust from it? The answer is no. It won't removed case coloring either.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 01/17/24 12:17 PM.
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

About $69K separates the purchase price of these two guns (can you imagine that? I struggle with it). This circa 2017 20-bore Westley droplock only goes out in very controlled conditions (my buddy even carries a protective slip in the event it rains). I am hoping that Westly Richards has taken into account the need to protect the finishes on this gun, but I'm not holding my breath.

A shockingly beautiful gun, but with zero utility IMHO. It does not strike me that the owner enjoys the reality of it's possession. It seldom sees the light of day and he has taken to not mentioning it in conversation.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/17/24 12:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no question Turnbull clear coats. The work he did for me was coated. It further warms the colors as well as protects them. Classic Guns in IL also did this and perhaps Wyoming Armory (I may ne miss remembering on that one. ). All of them would leave it off on request

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Isn't this basic physics? The surface is getting bombarded by photons which puts the molecules in a higher energy state which is not stable in the presence of some other compound (air, water, oil, whatever). Some degradation must happen. Maybe it just takes a really long time.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.