A few years back when I was editor of the L.C. Smith Journal, Dr. Drew Hause and Dr. Jim Stubbendieck were writing an article about the so called merits of the Longrange 3" chammbered guns. When the Longrange first came out Hunter Arms stated it was good at 80 yards and had a advertisement stating that. They wanted to see if there was truth to it. I had a Longrange 3" and said I would try to duplicate the load used then, after some research I used a new Winchester 3" hull with 41.5 grains Blue Dot, Winchester 209 primer, Winchester WAA12SL wad with 1 3/8 oz. of #5 I believe. I used my range finder and set the target up and used my truck's hood as a rest. At 80 yards the picture of the duck in the 30" circle looked the size of a sparrow. Fired the right barrel first, choked at .041 constriction and walked up and counted the pellets in the 30" circle, I can't remember how many there were but only one pellet went through the wing. Second barrel .041 constirction put two in the body, probably would kill him but not right away. At 80 yards you would have to have some great eyes to see what kind of duck, but back then I don't know if there were limits. I believe it was hyperbole by Hunter Arms.
By the way, I only fired two shells and that was enough for me, this was in summer and with just a tee shirt you can imagine the recoil felt. 32" barrels.

If Brother Drew sees this I'm sure he has some of the pictures used in the article, I can't remember which Journal it was in.

Last edited by David Williamson; 01/27/24 01:15 PM.

David