Most of the world disagrees with Robertson about the advantages or disadvantages of firing the top barrel first, on incoming birds or on true doubles in clay shooting. I much prefer to shoot the bottom barrel first. Some top tier competition gunmakers set up their O/U guns to shoot the bottom first, with no means for switching. Perazzi's trap guns, which can have both barrels choked the same, often have no means to switch which barrel fires first, and fire the bottom first. My MX8 is that way, and I'm glad of it. Most seasoned O/U shooters understand that firing the bottom barrel first results in less muzzle jump (upwards) than firing the top one first. It is a small difference, but important enough that all the top NSCA sporting clays shooters I have been fortunate enough to get to know choke their guns for a particular station so the the appropriate choke for the first bird is in the bottom barrel.

There is supposed to be a difference in recoil direction with a S x S as well, according to which cheek the shooter has pressed into the stock/comb. But, in use, I distinguish the difference in recoil direction, between barrels, to be greater with an O/U than with my S x Ss. But, that may be my perception only.

In hunting conditions, and with double triggers, which I prefer for hunting, which barrel is fired first is of lesser importance than having the best choke instantly available by the choice of trigger, IMHO.

I would actually like very much to learn Robertson's reasoning for why the top barrel first is the best set-up. Does anyone have anything in writing/literature that would explain it?

May God bless America and those who defend her.