Attended a Rocky Mountain Vintager event on Saturday night here at the Fort Restaurant in Morrison, Colorado & it was a darn good time (even with the icy roads to get there). The setting was lovely, the food and service were exceptional (buffalo and quail), and lots of fine guns were in attendance as well (everybody seemed to bring out their best examples). One of the speaker topics was the "keeper" gun and as part of that topic, the moment of inertia (MOI) machine (Rocketmans?) was discussed as part of an explanation about how a good bird gun should "feel". There were plenty of wives (& significant others) in attendance for the evening (which effectively "doubled" as a Valentine's Day event) and hopefully some of these discussions (before, during & after) explained for them a little of the "madness" these guns produce (for at least some of us). The concepts of "feel, fit & finish" were deeply examined and included the subject of the hard lessons sadly-learned by trading away a "keeper" in the search for that next "perfect" gun.

I've been fortunate in that I've managed to hang onto most of my "keepers" (as a dedicated grouse hunter, each gun was well wrung-out first, before the temptation of the next-better gun was explored) but there were also a few tales-of-woe to be told. Any tales of woe here?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/12/24 11:40 AM.