Originally Posted by L.Brown
Only full time employed by the spooks for 5 years, straight out of college. Went back to get an M.A, reenlisted in the Army Reserve (Military Intelligence unit). Had a full time summer job teaching intelligence subjects, which fit perfectly with teaching French the rest of the year. "Full time" teaching in college had the benefit of allowing me to do a lot of close to home pheasant hunting in Iowa, late 80's to early 2000's, when we had a lot of birds. One year I was full time, but spring semester only, which was perfect. Gave me time to do more out of state hunting in the fall. Eventually became what a fellow MI officer referred to as "a military gentleman", taking on as many relatively short tours of active duty as I could. Plus continuing outdoor writing, which I've now pretty much given up.

I was never going to become rich, but it gave me the opportunity to continue to serve in the military while still getting in a lot of bird hunting. If I had it all to do over, I don't think I would change anything.

Thanks, Larry. The point I was trying (vainly, it seems) to make is that grammar should be important to all, and especially one who teaches others, or writes. Understanding grammar is the key that unlocks the meaning of one's writing. The title of this thread is "A keeper gun". Keeper in that phrase is an adjective, describing the nature of the gun. It is not a possessive, which would have had an apostrophe and an "s", as John said. That would have implied that it was a gun that belonged to a keeper.

It may seem pedantic to some, but to me, as one who was always interested in English grammar and spelling, it's just second nature. Odd ....... a farmer being more concerned with it than former professors, but there it is.

Have a good one. Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.