Happened on a flyer in an antique store which led to the unexpected privilege yesterday of attending the semiannual show of the Missouri Arms Collectors. I’ve quit going to “gun shows” after the last big one in the Denver area, gun wise, was 95% black rifles and plastic pistols. (Nothing wrong with them and lots of folks were there for that reason just not of interest to me.). There was lots of other “stuff” for sale.

This show was largely arms with a nice mix of knives, ammo, reloading, and related gun parts. There were a handful of AR’s and some scattered modern pistols and revolvers. I didn’t see any jerky or junk. I talked with various vendors to get an idea of the direction their shows were going and it wasn’t encouraging. One Illinois based dealer had been forced out of business and is liquidating and planning a “move across the river.” I.e. to Missouri. Another old timer who goes back to the founding of the Missouri group said the shows have stabilized at about 200 tables but it seems attendance is declining while average age is increasing. I saw about a dozen and a half SxS’s. One nice DHE at $5500 and a couple of basic Elsies around $1400. I was looking for powder and there wasn’t much. I saw one jar of shotgun powder - Longshot - at $30.

The Kansas City side of the state used to have a large annual show hosted by the Missouri Valley men. Perhaps one of KC guys here can weigh in on the health of that show.

It’s been years since I’ve gone to the incredible national gun shows in northern Virginia. I wonder how that multi-building show is faring. And I’ve read here that the Las Vegas show has slipped a lot.

What’s the story in your area?

Speude Bradeos