Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Not too far from me, about 15 miles or so- about 10 years ago, a subdivision had a high content of lead in the soil in everyone's yard. Then they realized they had built that subdivision on a crop of land that was a skeet range back in the 50s and 60s. So the developer was responsible for digging up all the topsoil in the entire subdivision and replacing it. The developer wasn't too happy about it and neither were the residents. Not to mention the depreciation of their homes. Stuff like that happens, I guess. šŸ˜Š

10 years ago, eh? You expect us to believe the homes have ā€œdepreciatedā€ in the years since? Lead is like any other commodity, the price fluctuates, and that was either the dumbest developer in history, who didnā€™t recover and sell the lead, or, he was deliberately hoodwinked by the people who permitted his planned construction.
Little newsflash for you-lead/antimony alloy, as used in ammunition is incredibly stable, we dig up mini balls fired during the civil war that retain upwards of 90% of the original weight and mass after 160 years in the soil. The soil doesnā€™t have a high content of lead, the pellets have a high content of lead.
Iā€™ll give you this-stupid happens, too. See it all the damn time. You check and see how the loons are doing? Probably none of the news that comes to your box in the living room told you that arctic sea ice is the fifth highest recorded since 2005, this year:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
free upload images

Make note of it.

Best,
Ted

There's a little bit of difference between finding a bullet or two every 100 feet or so and an entire subdivision where the ground was completely covered solid by shot, because it was used as a skeet range for 20 years. And even if the developer recovered the shot, digging up everyone's topsoil, replacing it and then resewing it was pretty costly. I don't believe the price of reclaimed shot that was on the ground for 60 years quite covered the cost of what the developer paid to replace an entire subdivision of lawns. His total loss was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars , if I remember correctly.