June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (ChiefAmungum, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 185 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,636
Posts547,230
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, I will keep you all updated, it means a lot to me when people give me good advice and share memories that are special
to them. Thanks AGS for your advice and the memories of the Ruger you built as a way of remembering your dad(I would love to see pictures)
and to Mike (der Ami) for what he wrote about his dad on the thread about the CVA kit I worked on with and for my son.

For what it is worth, way back when not as many people were atune to gunbroker, I picked up deals. I found a Radom actioned Mauser in 308, with the date
of 1932, which was the year my mom, who was of Polish descent, told me she was born. The stock was so so, but I always thought of it as the Rosalie (my mom's first name) rifle. After she passed in 2011, I learned she was born in 31, but didn't want me to know she was a year older than my father. When the twins came along in 2013, we named our daughter Audrey Marie (Marie being my mom's middle name). Like I wrote earlier, I won an auction lot consisting of two identically styled stocks the week the twins were born. Neither the stocks nor the figure is all that great, the timing is the key issue. They are getting the best of all the things I found, case-colored Niedner buttplates, etc.

As for the stock, it has both an upward warp and a lateral warp, I boiled it again this morning and mounted the stock on the table of my milling machine
I used a shim to increase the pressure against the upward warp and used the quill of my milling machine to exert some lateral pressure. The next key thing,
assuming that this works is stablize the stock using a combination of metal and bedding compound.

PhysDoc

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc,
It may work, you will only know by trying. The important thing is you are building them, yourself, for your daughters. BTW, it is surprising how much pressure you can build up with multiple wraps of surgical tubing (or bands cut from an innertube), when you pull all the "stretch" out of each wrap.
Mike

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wish you could have heard my contented sigh and the smile is still on my face as a piece of paper wrapped around the barrel was able to be slid past the forend tip.
We will see what things are like tomorrow but for now, I am enjoying the moment.

2 members like this: earlyriser, BrentD, Prof
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

time for an update, I wasn't surprised,but the stock began to move back to it's original position and it took
two more cycles of boiling and bending before I got it to where I wanted it and where it seemed comparatively stable.
I had planned to add a steel stiffener to the forend. I took a section of 3/8" square stock and milled it to a T shape.
Then I milled a corresponding slot in the forend.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is what the forend looks like with the stiffener in place

then I coated the sides and bottom of the stiffener with Acraglas and pressed it into the slot using a section of barrel from a trench gun project and rubber tubing to apply pressure.

I hope tomorrow or the next day to put more Acraglas into the barrel channel.

Thanks so much for the advice and the stories of family, in these uncertain times, it is great to be reminded that there are still good people out there.

PhysDoc

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just a quick update, this project is coming along nicely. I hope to start finishing the stock soon, I will keep you updated.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.