September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (fallschirmjaeger, SKB), 244 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,884
Posts550,433
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm preparing to send some rifle parts out for engraving, and one part, the trigger guard, still has bluing. I believe it is hot salt bluing. In the past I've used vinegar and fine sandpaper to remove bluing. It's a little slow, but it works. I was curious what methods others prefer? Any input is appreciated.

Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Navel Jelly

1 member likes this: earlyriser
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ditto Mike's comment. May take a couple of applications for best results. As an engraver I usually expect to do that myself.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why not just polish the part? If the engraving being recut is very shallow, take a rubbing or detailed pictures of it to send along with the part.
Naval Jelly has a pretty good amount of phosphoric acid & even some sulphuric acid. It’ll etch and put a dull finish on the metal that’ll need to be polished before finishing.
I personally never use chemicals to remove old bluing…I just polish it off.

2 members like this: earlyriser, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lime-away is less agressive and works ok.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer 50 years of deer drives, still hunts, and pointing dogs... but if you're in a hurry, the birchwood casey bluing remover has always been cheap and easy for me? I have never seen ill effects?

2 members like this: earlyriser, Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is also a product called evaporust that works well. It is environmentally inert, no hazmat etc. I get mine at the local farm store but Amazon has it also. It works great in an ultrasonic cleaner as well. Soak for an hour and the blue comes right off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by earlyriser
I'm preparing to send some rifle parts out for engraving, and one part, the trigger guard, still has bluing. I believe it is hot salt bluing. In the past I've used vinegar and fine sandpaper to remove bluing. It's a little slow, but it works. I was curious what methods others prefer? Any input is appreciated.

Larry
I was just wondering......what kind of rifle are you going to have engraved and who is doing the engraving for you? And are they going to reblue the gun after it is engraved? Or are you going to reblue the gun after it is engraved. Just curious........Thanks.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The responses are super helpful. Thank you to everyone who has responded. This forum is so helpful that way. The rifle is a Ruger M77 MkII in 6mm Remington. It is my favorite deer gun. Over the past 15 years or so I've worked with many skilled men (mostly gunsmiths) to refine it, and it has come together nicely. I've been communicating with Geoffroy Gournet about doing some light engraving on the floorplate and trigger guard. Geoffroy can do the work, but he needs a bit of lead time. I especially like the looks of hand cut (hammer, chisel, bulino) engraving, which Geoffroy does. Probably the biggest element of the engraving will be running vine borders around the floorplate and trigger guard. There might be some wedges/diamonds of scroll in the middles. We will confer on the final layout. I'm leaning towards a French gray finish with engravers ink to enhance the contrast. However, I'm also considering a color case hardened finish or charcoal bluing. When it's done, I'll share pictures here on the forum.

Larry

1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lysol toilet bowl cleaner works great does not hurt metal and it has other household uses.

2 members like this: Jimmy W, earlyriser
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.