September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (GeorgeGibbs505, Argo44, HalfaDouble, bushveld, 2 invisible), 211 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,053
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tangentially germane to this is the kiplauf I have that utilizes a very similar action. Its (original un-lined) barrel is chambered for 5.6x35R. Bore is a bit odd with a .225" groove diameter and a fast twist of 1-9". Out of respect for the old girl I load 52 gr. gaschecked bullets from a Lee Bator mould sized .226" with 6.0gr. 2400, Hornet brass neck sized with a custom expander. Quite a fun little rifle, and seeing this pistol has given me something to keep my eye peeled for as a companion piece.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary D.
Sounds like you have a fun pistol. If it will close on a Hornet case it likely had the rim recess deepened if it started as a 5.6x35R, the proof marks should tell you. A 22 Hornet should be marked with bore diameter in mm with 36 for case length. A 5.6x35R Vierling would be marked 35 for the case length. If it has the bore diameter marked in gauge measurement, it would be the Vierling cartridge since mm marking started before the Hornet was born. Shooting cast bullets is a good choice and 6 grains 2400 seems like it would be a good economical load. The gun and load are the type, my friends and I have a lot of fun with shooting at turtles. Notice I said shooting "at" not shooting, the little buggers have tiny heads. There is a high hill behind the pond to catch the bullets. It is fun, but also it is a pretty good exercise in range estimation.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 06/11/24 03:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Mike. Marked "5.6x35". But, it's a kiplauf not a pistol. 25 7/8" barrel. I have no history of the rifle, but you're right that since Hornet brass chambers freely somebody must have deepened the rim recess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary,
We find that change pretty often. The world is full of 22 Hornets, but 5.5X35R Vierlings are getting scarce. Other than the higher pressures, the main problem with the conversion to 22Hornet comes in combination guns where there is a second rifle barrel involved, mainly, but not exclusively, Vierlings. The two different caliber barrels were regulated to "shoot together", but modern Hornet ammo has a very different trajectory. For single shot rifles the "fix" is usually adjusting or replacing the sights, which is considerably easier than re-regulating Vierling barrels. The change to the sights may have already been done. Handloading to 5.6x35R specs also works, but if that was an option for the previous owner the conversion may not have been done. Have fun.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Gary D.
Thanks, Mike. Marked "5.6x35". But, it's a kiplauf not a pistol. 25 7/8" barrel. I have no history of the rifle, but you're right that since Hornet brass chambers freely somebody must have deepened the rim recess.

Would you happen to have any pictures? that sounds like a wonderful rifle.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Interesting find! It sounds like you have a unique single-shot pistol that might have been converted to .22 Hornet caliber.

The magled screws in the backstrap could definitely be evidence of a stock mount that was previously removed. Stocks on single-shot pistols can improve accuracy and stability.

Relining a pistol barrel to .22 Hornet is uncommon, but possible. It would be helpful to have a gunsmith confirm the caliber and assess the quality of the relining work.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello again. I was able to slug the barrel with a .224 35grn bullet which seems to show that the bore is ~.222". When I insert a live 22 hornet cartridge into the chamber it doesnt seat fully, but it doesnt seem to be the rim. Its feels like its catching on the cartridge shoulder or (if the bore slug is correct) that the bullet is slightly too large to sit in the throat of the bore.

Edit: yep, pulled the bullet out of the case and the case sits perfectly

Last edited by journeymen; 07/13/24 11:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

journeyman,
Bullets of .222" are available but are a little hard to find. Unless my memory fails me, this diameter bullet is intended for the S&W Mod.53 revolvers, but should work fine in your pistol.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
First cartridge on the left is a 40grn bullet pushed into a case so that the gun can lock up. Right cartridge is factory 35grn hornady

For the sake of it i fired the primed case. It looks like the primer is pushing out?

Last edited by journeymen; 07/13/24 04:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The primer pushing out would be 'normal' for just a primed case. Light loads will show the same tendency. The pressure of the powder burning and forcing the bullet out the end pushes back on the case (one of Newton's laws) and reseats the primer.

Last edited by Hoot4570; 07/14/24 09:05 AM.
1 member likes this: journeymen
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.