Time for an update and the news isn’t good. In fact, I am putting this project on an indefinite hold due to a discovered issue with the receiver casting. As stated earlier it began life as a casting of an 1897 WR. I informed Rodney of the issue and he quickly moved to replace it. However, when the new casting was delivered, I discovered a dimensional difference between the original casting and the newly received casting that makes the new one unusable for this project. The as cast breech block mortise is wider than the breech blocks and that is before the casting is cleaned up and smoothed, which would only make the difference worst. A very unacceptable fit. The new casting would not even work with the “original casting kits” of parts, so Rodney has replaced them as well. I want to say Rodney has been a real stand-up fellow concerning this issue.

So, to continue with the project plan, using the new receiver casting, I would need to scrap the breech block and the floor plate I have made. A lot of work for naught. (Not even mentioning all the work I did on the receiver.) The other alternative is to table the use of the casting and the “casting kit” parts and make the receiver part out of bar stock from scratch. That would be a fairly significant leap but not impossible. Time and noodling on the subject will determine the path forward...