September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (J.B.Patton, HalfaDouble, rocky mtn bill, 1 invisible), 234 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,883
Posts550,430
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all,

I picked up this single shot pistol from gunbroker. Its mechanically sound luckily. The internals are in ok shape, albiet a little rusty. I did a quick wax cast of the chamber (after a fruitless google of the gauge marks).
While taking it apart I noticed it had two magled screws that had been ground flush with the backstrap. I take it this is for some stock mount?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a very interesting. Is it originally centerfire?

I think you are right about the shoulder stock. The bottom of the grip being part of the lockup I would imagine.

Some more pictures would be nice. How long is the barrel?

The lock up must be on the trigger guard but the trigger looks different. How does it lock and what sort of action does it have?

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 06/04/24 08:18 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The barrel lug locks into this trigger guard/underlever. This also cocks the hammer. My other break action uses a striker that is pushed back by the lever and locks on the sear.
It looks like it was originally centerfire. Gauge marks are 29/43 but the the left of 2 is bad pitting so it could of been 129.

Im sorry for peicemealing pictures. Im splitting time between work and caring for our toddler

Sidelock
Sidelock

A really nice simple action. That looks like a lot of fun. Is the relined bore good enough to keep or will you reline again?

How long is the barrel? The first photo makes it look very long - like maybe 14" but that is probably just an illusion of the photograph.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love single shot rifles, but also single shot pistols and that's a pretty neat one! Not sure I've ever seen one like it, but I bet it will be a fun shooter!
I've got a couple Remington Model 1891 Target pistols, both built by famous gun and barrel makers. One is by Arthur Hubalek of New York City, and the other by HM Pope. The Hubalek is .22LR Hubalek barrel and has a highly modified grip frame to make the grip larger, plus a lightened hammer, and trigger work. The Pope has a Pope barrel that is threaded for a silencer for indoor matches. Also has a lightened hammer, trigger work. over travel adjustment screw, and original grips.
Pope above, and Hubalek below:

Sidelock
Sidelock

journeymen,
Gauge number 29.43 is way too large for that type of action. However, 129.43 would be a good fit. It translates to a bore (not groove or bullet) of 8.38mm. This is about .303" and would be appropriate for several of the nominal 8mm Tesching, 320, or 32 caliber cartridges, many of which could be used in this type of action. It is a pre 1912 gun and since it has been relined the original chamber is not available for making a chamber cast. Consequently, I'm afraid it is no longer possible to determine the original chambering. It is my unsolicited opinion that modern 22 Hornet ammunition would generate too much pressure for the long-term use of the gun. I suggest you load it to 5.6x35R Vierling pressure instead.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had, many years ago, a similar pistol but it did not have the saw handle spur at the top of the grip.

It was Belgian, smooth bore and .22 rim-fire. Nowdays it would be a “s.5 Prohibited short firearm”!

I could not decide if it was intended to be used as a Saloon Pistol or as a naturalist’s collection gun.

I share the concern that the action is not strong enough for .22 Hornet factory loads. Perhaps use the milder cast bullet loads?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

@mike, i'll have to look up load data. Im just glad its in a caliber with bullets that are easier to source than my 9.3. We have a really big gunstore down the way. Ill see if they have any ammo available. I'll have the cleanup on the action lever done today

Sidelock
Sidelock

journeymen,
If the "really big gunstore" has any ammo that will chamber, it will likely be 22 Hornet. It won't likely "blow the pistol up" but prolonged use may "shoot it loose". If you PM me, I will give you some loading data that will be gentler on the pistol'.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

pm sent! I really appreciate the help Mike. I figured the issue you mentioned would be a concern and would rather not have this gun break on its next heir

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.