June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tim in PA, Tripplebeards, m-4, Mike Harrell), 173 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,638
Posts547,261
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#647944 06/15/24 07:58 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another thread got me to reminiscing about my first exposure to the exploits of the famous Jim Corbett, hunter of man-eating tigers in India. I first "heard" of him in a magazine named Boy's Life, which was available to Boy Scouts by subscription. I would have been about 12 or 13 when I read the article about Corbett in the magazine. Sixty years later I remember exactly where I was when I read that. Isn't it amazing how something as innocuous as a written story of tiger hunting can have such a lasting influence on a person?

Does anyone else here remember Boy's Life magazine?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
5 members like this: Parabola, John Roberts, Silvers, GLS, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you haven't already seen it, this episode of "Under Wild Skies" might be of interest, Stan.

3 members like this: Jimmy W, Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
I had a subscription from the second grade, when my mom was our den mother for the neighborhood troop, until about eighth grade, when I lost interest in being a Boy Scout. Ironically, it was the lack of opportunities to hunt and fish within the scouts that caused my interest to wan. That was what I wanted to be doing.
It never happened to me, but the local troop was disbanded after accusations of child abuse were leveled at the people running it. I don’t recall what they were, but, for whatever reason troop 516 was disbanded pretty quickly about a decade after I was no longer part of it. Another troop was founded, and my next door neighbor kid was part of that organization. I vividly recall that kid asking me to accompany him so he could go on a father and son camping trip, because, for no reason of his own, he didn’t have a father, and he couldn’t go without an adult male to accompany him. I volunteered to go, and actually had an outstanding time camping in the woods with his Cub Scout pack.

We caught a mess of smallmouth bass in the Rum River, and had an actual shore lunch. The guys running the new troop were fantastic fishermen. That kid ended up dropping out of college, traveling to Europe to spend the summer touring on a motorcycle, and met a girl in Spain, married her, and never returned. He has a couple kids. They for sure have a dad. Last conversation I had with him he chatted with my wife in Spanish on the phone for 15 minutes or so. He really turned his life a different, and good direction.

Thanks for the good memory prompt.

Best,
Ted

3 members like this: GLS, azgreg, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

My son is now 20, and he got his Eagle rank about 3 years ago. He subscribed to Boys Life for probably the last 5 years he was in Scouts. He and I had a ton of good times with his Troop and Packs. The modern Boys Life had a lot of good adventure stories, but not much about hunting and firearms. I’m thankful for all fun and learning he got from Scouting.

Larry

3 members like this: Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I did not read Boy's Life but I do have a fascination with Tiger hunting. I just finished "Big Game Hunting in Nepal", an outstanding read with some interesting aspects of jungle life I had not read of before including enclosing the tigers in a larger ring formed by Elephants and cloth, capturing Tiger cubs, fighting wild bull Elephants armed with a lance while riding a domesticated Elephant and capturing wild bull Elephants. Asia was a sportsman's paradise a hundred years ago. I have most if not all of Corbet's books, great stuff!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
3 members like this: Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis, earlyriser
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boys Life became Scout Life in 2021 to accommodate the girls. I was a Boy Scout as a kid and an ASM for 13 years. My youngest is an Eagle. I loved BL magazine. I believe in the back of the magazine was an ad for military surplus jeeps that were drop shipped in a crate disassembled. Always wanted to order one. Cool stuff.

2 members like this: Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, my grandpa took me to the Rum River in the early '60s. He put on his waders and carried me on his shoulders. I had him grab some clams to show them to me. That same day, he told me what an 'outdoor biffy' was! He was a scout leader back in the '40s and '50s. I remember reading Boy's Life, too.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

3 members like this: Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So glad there are some others here who have good memories about scouting, and Boy's Life. I was in a very small troop, Troop 203, but we were active in camping, hiking, attending jamborees and summer camp, etc. I made Eagle and was inducted into the Order Of The Arrow. Dad knew my adventurous spirit and made me a promise that he would pay for me a summer trip to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico if I dedicated myself and achieved Eagle rank. I did, and I went. It was a trip of a lifetime. We climbed Baldy Mtn., some 12,000+ ft., that August. I also achieved my God And Country award before leaving the Boy Scouts and entering the Explorers, which was a BSA sanctioned organization for older Scouts who had achieved Eagle rank and wanted to help younger Boy Scouts, at camp, etc.

I was introduced to competitive shooting at summer camp near Augusta. GA, at Camp Linwood Hayne. That also awakened something in me that has never died.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

5 members like this: earlyriser, eeb, Silvers, GLS, azgreg
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I loved the ads for BB guns and .22's. Can you imagine a kids magazine with gun ads today?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Scouting is a far cry from what it was in my adolescent days. Back then it was a builder of leaders, and men.

To quote 2 Samuel 1:27, "How the mighty have fallen.........".

1 member likes this: Silvers
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.