September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Ian Forrester, NTaxiarchis, Ken57, azgreg, 2 invisible), 249 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,055
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BGlass Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have this 60 calb. rifle. the title above is what the seller told me but i believe he was just guessing. it is unique from the flared 8 sided barrel with 7 deep rifling with lighter grooves inside of each. the basketweave is a lot nicer then checkering. it even has some on the sliding patchbox. it has the 2 "triggers" with the front one the real hair trigger and yes you barely touch to set off. on the left side is engraved IGNATZ with the N being slanted back. on the right side is engraved WAGNER with the N being slanted forward. on top inlaid IN PLASZ or 1N PLASZ hard to tell as some letters have hooks on them. on this one the S is slanted forward and the Z is slanted back it also has a line going threw the middle. on the rear sight not only does it have the fixed sight but has 2 more fold up leafs. by the way the barrel is 25" long. has a silver badge centered on the steel behind hammer looks to be a fancy S small t
Somebody did a lot of Tap tap on this one. I really like the sea serpents or dragons on both sides.
I love the history of old firearms! The last couple years picked up some that i think made it across the pond.
I have not been able to figure out how to put pictures on this site yet. seems wants a URL this is not my strong suit. send me a E-mail if you would like pictures and be patient as can be gone for days at a time.
Just in case this makes the site "I am a virgin here" if i do not receive any E-mails will post mine.
Bill

William
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Puškař Ignatz Wagner in Plaß-Plasy

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful old rifle! Will be a blast to shoot!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani & I were discussing that the engraving just may be of the Gottlieb Biedermeier(>>Papa Biedermeier<<), Style which was a impoverished period bound by Napoleon's Holiday on Elba(>>Able Was I Ere I Saw Elba<<) and a Revolution in the Austrian Empire. A throw-back to Medieval Times, no doubt.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be a Phoenix/Firebird.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could be, but it looks like a throw-back to Classical Antiquity being a Dragon of sorts..... Who knows, maybe it was a smokepole to dispatch the last of the dragons in Bohemia???

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can someone discuss the "button" at the toe of the stock, to which the sling was attached. Specifically, about when did they fall from favor and how common were they on early cartridge rifles.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
These "sling buttons" were quite popular on early Austrian breechloaders, say circa 1860-1880. I well remember one on my first Werndl hunting rifle, circa 1870.
Cheers,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani,
Thanks for the information, I have a rifle that has one of the buttons plus a couple other things that make me believe it was built as a sporter. Someone else (whose opinion I respect) has opined that it was later "sporterized" and I am just trying to decide what it is. BTY, we haven't spoken for a while, I hope you are well, I am.
Mike

BGlass Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Does anybody know what type/style sling would fit this rifle? I do not have a idea what to have made or what should look like.
Bill

William
Sidelock
Sidelock

BGlass,
A sling for this rifle could have a simple loop at the top, a quick shortening loop, a leather tie, or even a buckle; but the bottom would have a slit, like a buttonhole, which it actually would be.
Mike

BGlass Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Ah yes now that makes sense to me. I ended up with 2 slings for a germen cape gun. one has a end i could copy for the top side.
Will experiment for on the bottom for a slitted button hole.
Thank you
Bill

William
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
If one of your slings has the common loop with a brass (or other metal) button (with one flat end and the other one rounded) on one end, if you open it up the slit on the end should work. If not, you should be able to extend the slit a little. This works on my rifle. Good luck.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 07/06/24 04:06 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Your 60 caliber rifle is a unique and beautifully crafted piece. The flared barrel with deep rifling and lighter grooves, along with the intricate basketweave pattern, makes it stand out. The double triggers, with a hair trigger in the front, and the engraved names "IGNATZ" and "WAGNER" add to its distinctive features. The inlaid "IN PLASZ," detailed rear sight with fold-up leafs, and the silver badge behind the hammer further highlight its craftsmanship.

It sounds like your rifle has a rich history, possibly from Europe, given its detailed engravings and design. If you want to share pictures or get more information, try firearm forums or experts who can help you learn more about its origins and significance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.