August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, LGF, Stanton Hillis, SKB, NCTarheel), 159 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,805
Posts549,396
Members14,447
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just finished restocking a 16 ga Fox Sterlingworth. It came out great but has 2 1/2" chambers, 26" barrels. I can make short reloads for it (but I'd rather not) and sooner or later but when I send it down the road, I'm wondering if a would-be buyer would rather see one with original chamber length (obviously without original stock), or one that is easier to find and/or load ammo for. Thanks for your thoughts, Gil

[IMG]
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would leave it as is. I say that as there have been a number of 16 gauge Foxes that have their chambers extended by backyard Bubba gunsmith and as such when measured they are unsafe to shoot. If you get a chance contact John Hosford as he measures a ton of barrels at various shoots and has come across a number of Fox 16 gauges that he regards as borderline unsafe at best.

Last edited by tut; 07/06/24 06:33 PM.

foxes rule
1 member likes this: OldMaineWoodsman
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

tut/ Thank you for the reply! Gil

[IMG]
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, while the safety issue is foremost, reworking the chambers will reduce the value to most purchasers. Sherman Bell didn't measure significant pressure elevation shooting the longer shells in the shorter chambers. However these old guns have a shorter life shooting near SAAMI pressure limits and heavy loads and faster velocity than they were built for. Hundred year old wood can't take the beating without regard to the metal. Keep the old stock as well for the next owner. Gil

1 member likes this: ithaca1
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'll offer my take on your questions as well, Gil. I've been where you are, but with a 20. My Philly Fox Sterlingworth Ejector had short chambers. The wall thicknesses were such that the chambers could be lengthened to 2 3/4" and still have plenty of meat. I chose to use a barrel man to do so that is well versed in this "dilemma", Dean Harris of Skeet's Gunshop in Tahlequah, OK. I wanted my chokes opened, and decided to let him do both the choke work and the chamber work. I've never regretted my decision. It is a great quail and woodcock gun now, that can utilize over the counter ammo with no cause for concern.

I agree that just anybody should not be trusted to lengthen chambers, and I also would not have done this with a rarer, high graded gun. But........... it's a Sterlingworth. Not to belittle them, but the fact is they aren't exactly rare, and it was more important to me to increase its usefulness for me than to retain its originality. I do not belittle other's feelings, that disagree with me about this, but that's my take.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan and(other) Gil. Thanks much for the thoughtful replies! Gil

[IMG]
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

this issue of 2 1/2" chamber lengthening applies to all guns with fluid steel barrels and not just to fox doubleguns...

it all boils down to the barrel wall thicknesses in front of the chambers...a rule of thumb used by some gunsmiths is to not lengthen chambers, if the metal removed leaves the barrel walls in front of the chambers, less than .090 of an inch...

as to value, shooters like their guns to be capable of safely shooting readily available field loads. and they consider 2 3/4 chambers to be added value...some others, on the other hand will use any non factory alteration to a gun as an excuse to chisel your asking price...

experience is the best teacher. and safety should be our most important consideration. so, when considering any barrel alteration, bring your gun to an experienced smith with the tools and expertise to do the job right and not leave you with an unsafe gun...

Last edited by ed good; 07/07/24 01:43 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I'll offer my take on your questions as well, Gil. I've been where you are, but with a 20. My Philly Fox Sterlingworth Ejector had short chambers. The wall thicknesses were such that the chambers could be lengthened to 2 3/4" and still have plenty of meat. I chose to use a barrel man to do so that is well versed in this "dilemma", Dean Harris of Skeet's Gunshop in Tahlequah, OK. I wanted my chokes opened, and decided to let him do both the choke work and the chamber work. I've never regretted my decision. It is a great quail and woodcock gun now, that can utilize over the counter ammo with no cause for concern.

I agree that just anybody should not be trusted to lengthen chambers, and I also would not have done this with a rarer, high graded gun. But........... it's a Sterlingworth. Not to belittle them, but the fact is they aren't exactly rare, and it was more important to me to increase its usefulness for me than to retain its originality. I do not belittle other's feelings, that disagree with me about this, but that's my take.

I had Dean open the chambers on a 16 gauge Fox. If I was going to open the chambers again, he would be the guy. He is very good. FWIW, he has his own special made reamer that cuts the chambers a tad shorter then 2 3/4", but also at the same time extends the forcing cone.

foxes rule
2 members like this: gil russell, Stanton Hillis

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.