September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Joe Wood, Argo44, Drew Hause, bsteele, 2 invisible), 212 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,856
Posts550,049
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#648811 07/11/24 08:29 AM
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

It has been slow on the board, especially with gun related topics. I thought some of you may find this repair to be interesting.

This is a wonderful old Rigby percussion rifle built in the early 1850's, it had a crack in the hand and the wrist pin was rusted in place, the rust eventually turning to wood rot. I cut out the bad section, tightly fit a piece of 1/4 sawn Turkish to insert well on each side of the crack. The rot extended on one side beyond the trigger guard and into the checkering, a smaller piece was epoxied in place to repair that area. The new wood was re-inlet, then checkered to match, tricky because of the way the original checkering was cut, the wear on it and the fact that it was filled with grime and finish. The owner of the gun did not want all of the checkering re-cut, he just wanted me to match the repaired area with the existing checkering. I think it cam out well. The rifle will return next winter for a new wrist pin. I forgot to snap a picture of the large fillet but I think the pics tell the story.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
4 members like this: Stanton Hillis, DoubleTake, earlyriser, PhysDoc
SKB #648812 07/11/24 08:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent!

SKB #648819 07/11/24 04:00 PM
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a technique that works great. About three months ago I used a similar method on two guns. One was a Parker 1879 lifter that hat a piece broken out of the rim on the sidelock inlet just down to the level of the bottom of the inletting. I have a small based Dremel routing attachment that I use when inletting guitar inlays. I marked two parallel lines across the missing area and used the flat around the sideplate to ride the router base. I carefully removed the chipped area, cut a piece of matching walnut and epoxied it in. I filed and sanded the curved areas to fit and used a razor sharp thumb plane to cut the patch down in the border area around the sideplate. (covered it with thin tape to tell when I was almost there. color matched the new wood and then French shellaced the patch and it looked really good.
'
The more radical one was on an 1882 top lever Parker hammer 16. I bought it and disassembled it to to some mechanical repairs. The stock, which looked solid outside, turned out to be chewed and eaten out in the internal works/trigger group area. The grip and upper mating area seemed solid but there was little viable structural materil around the triggers or bolt/locking area.

Since the tang inlet was narrower than the trigger guard, I clamped the stock in a padded milling machine vice, indexed it, and milled a 1/2" slot for about 3" back from the stock head, leaving a slot the readned up near the upper grip line. I cut a block of very dense walnut, insert it and marked the surfaceon the side of the block. Bandsawed this to shape and glued the block in.I then reinlet the head and internal areas and the result was very tight and strong.

Just shows that a lot of times inserting a block of wood is the only reasonable thing to do. I would rather have a tastefully repaired original stock than a multi-thousand dollar rebuild.

2 members like this: BrentD, Prof, earlyriser
AGS #648820 07/11/24 04:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by AGS
That is a technique that works great. About three months ago I used a similar method on two guns. One was a Parker 1879 lifter that hat a piece broken out of the rim on the sidelock inlet just down to the level of the bottom of the inletting. I have a small based Dremel routing attachment that I use when inletting guitar inlays. I marked two parallel lines across the missing area and used the flat around the sideplate to ride the router base. I carefully removed the chipped area, cut a piece of matching walnut and epoxied it in. I filed and sanded the curved areas to fit and used a razor sharp thumb plane to cut the patch down in the border area around the sideplate. (covered it with thin tape to tell when I was almost there. color matched the new wood and then French shellaced the patch and it looked really good.
'
The more radical one was on an 1882 top lever Parker hammer 16. I bought it and disassembled it to to some mechanical repairs. The stock, which looked solid outside, turned out to be chewed and eaten out in the internal works/trigger group area. The grip and upper mating area seemed solid but there was little viable structural materil around the triggers or bolt/locking area.

Since the tang inlet was narrower than the trigger guard, I clamped the stock in a padded milling machine vice, indexed it, and milled a 1/2" slot for about 3" back from the stock head, leaving a slot the readned up near the upper grip line. I cut a block of very dense walnut, insert it and marked the surfaceon the side of the block. Bandsawed this to shape and glued the block in.I then reinlet the head and internal areas and the result was very tight and strong.

Just shows that a lot of times inserting a block of wood is the only reasonable thing to do. I would rather have a tastefully repaired original stock than a multi-thousand dollar rebuild.

It would be great to see a project like this in progress with photographs. I suppose that what slow down the progress, but sure would be nice.

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 07/11/24 04:31 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

SKB #648822 07/11/24 05:19 PM
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I should have taken more pics but I am crazy busy. I did snap this one. The wood is set up in a vise, leather on the jaws, swivel base and pointer to find center line and get the cut kind of level.

I miss Monkey Jim.
2 members like this: earlyriser, BrentD, Prof
SKB #649083 07/18/24 05:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful work!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice job !

SKB #649424 07/27/24 07:03 AM
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks Gents! I forgot to mention that on these type of repairs I have been using G-flex epoxy the last few years. Really great stuff that was designed for repairing wooden boats.

I miss Monkey Jim.
SKB #649621 08/01/24 06:22 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great job Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.