September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ratt, Karl Graebner, WJW, SamW, azgreg, 1 invisible), 206 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,061
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good evening Jon.
I’m afraid I must respectfully disagree with you. These ARE magic super guns. Built in America, by Americans, for Americans.
The above is my most recent, a 16 gauge Tournament Skeet. The previous owner vetted me before he would sell me the gun.
90 % admirable original condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been looking through the sales sites for more examples of the dovetail joint. Here is a better image.
I've found none with the gaps in Dewey's example and suspect his was chosen to confirm his bias

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gap in the deovetail in Dewey's pic is not typical but I have seen several that way.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
I've been looking through the sales sites for more examples of the dovetail joint. Here is a better image.
I've found none with the gaps in Dewey's example and suspect his was chosen to confirm his bias

While this example from the Preacher's vast collection of gun pictures is not quite as bad as Dewey's example, this is hardly a well fitted dovetail joint. Engine turning can draw the eye away from a multitude of sins.

This sort of poor metal fitting is more in line with cheap hardware store guns such as Worthington or Crescent rather than what some consider America's Best Gun.

Dewey's so-called "bias" is born of his top flight actual experience as an incredibly talented gunsmith... not as a self-styled wannabe internet expert who doesn't know what a chopperlump is. But Dewey spends his days working on all manner of real guns, not pictures of guns. That's when he isn't designing and building high quality guns from scratch. Lots of guns look real nice in pictures. A high grade L.C. Smith looks like perfection, until one is schooled enough to understand its' many weaknesses. The real measure of quality lies in their engineering and mechanics, and in the fit and finish of the best materials. Those are the guns that stand the test of time, and Dewey is in a far better position to be a judge of that overall quality than anyone who merely studies pictures.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,
With all due respect, if a sleeved gun had a joint that fit like the dovetail at the picture of the front end of those lumps, nobody would buy it. It is sloppy in the extreme. It could have been made to fit perfectly.

It wasn't.

Dewey didn't wake up one day and, off the top of his head, decide he didn't like Winchester 21s.

He got sick of working on junk. He fixed a lot of it when he had to.

Now, he doesn't have to.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bob Cash
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good evening Jon.
I’m afraid I must respectfully disagree with you. These ARE magic super guns. Built in America, by Americans, for Americans.
The above is my most recent, a 16 gauge Tournament Skeet. The previous owner vetted me before he would sell me the gun.
90 % admirable original condition.

I'm a M21 guy as well, Bob. I have a 16 gauge skeet similar to yours but built in 1937, a few years after Winchester stopped making the Tournament grade.
Mine has 26" barrels and I suspect your gun has the same length of barrels.
I don't recall ever seeing a 16 gauge skeet with 28" barrels.

1 member likes this: Bob Cash
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ll put my money on Dewey.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

So in my non-scientific and statistically invalid review of all the auction sites, in which a distinct minority of the M21 listings have high resolution images of the barrel flats, I've yet to find one that looks like the subject barrel or Dewey's. They look like the examples posted and here's another:

I'm not qualified to discuss the design defects of the M21 but believe inexpert joining of the dovetail joint is found in only few. So the problem could be:
1. sampling error - certainly possible
2. the M21s with breech failures have been trashed or rebarreled
3. cherry picking to make a point

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback
I’ll put my money on Dewey.
With all due respect to Mr. Vicknair,
I’ve bet my money on the Model 21 and be it field or clays, I’ve never been left on the side of the road.

I’m almost certain that all of these guns were made by the hand of man.
Things sometimes break, we deal with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If Tom is following, possibly he could elaborate? Are the failures separation of the tubes or failure of the dovetail joint?
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=295263&page=6
The only dovetail joint on the M21 barrels is in the lump at the breech. The remainder of the barrels from that point forward are joined with soft solder, as are the ribs. The use of soft solder was necessary because the barrels were made of heat treated steel, and the heat of brazing them would have drawn the temper of the steel. I have often heard of M21 barrels separating, but many other guns have suffered the same problem, for whatever reason.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.