September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (J.B.Patton, Birdog, Gerry Addison, bushveld, HalfaDouble, 1 invisible), 238 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,883
Posts550,430
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My best friend who died a year ago had over 3000 guns, he liked the nicer shotguns and put in a fine gun room. About two years before he died he said what he had in the better grade guns and some had been there 3-4 years. He said the ARs, Beretta 400s, Benellis and defense type handguns and shotguns moved out in 30-90 days. So he sent 160 nice guns to auction.From a business standpoint you have to sell what sells.

John
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bob Cash
Originally Posted by keith
Originally Posted by Bob Cash
Originally Posted by Hal M Hare
I vote for the CSMC Showroom! Large fantastic displays of fine guns.
Were I on fire, I wouldn’t buy a glass of water from that bunch.

It sure would be nice to know what's behind that statement. To listen to the same guy a few years ago, you'd have thought CSMC walked on water, that he had Lou on speed dial, and was his BFF...

...I was also impressed with Gene's Gun Shop, the gun and gunsmithing business that I frequently visited in my teens. As I've said here before, Gene showed me his vary large collection of ornate museum quality European doubles, Drillings, Vierlings, etc., that he had somehow stolen from the Nazi's when he was an Armorer in the German Army in WW II. It is even more amazing that he was able to smuggle that very large stash of guns into the U.S. when he emmigrated here after the war. It was the best place in my area to see the difference in engraving styles and game scenes between pre-war European guns, and the more pedestrian flying turnip stuff on American guns commonly seen here. Gene also took the time to teach me useful things like spring making and tempering when there weren't many customers, and his wife could handle the store. With only his strong grip, he managed to do very nice checkering without a cradle, and was happy to talk guns when he stopped to light his pipe. Naturally, he had a bias toward the German and Prussian guns he favored, and spent time showing me their superior fit and finish, bolting, etc. Most memorable of all is that Gene was a crazy bastard who did many things differently than ay other gun shop I've ever visited. He kept a loaded full auto Mauser pistol near the cash register to deal with anyone who might try to rob him. Many visits left me shaking my head, such as the time I was browsing the used guns while another customer was showing Gene his malfunctioning deer rifle. It was as quiet as a Library, and I could hear most of their discussion about a misfiring problem. Without any warning, there was a loud blast as Gene test fired the .30-06 through a hole in the floor behind the counter, into a drum of sand in the basement. You just don't experience things like that in most Gun Shops.
You sure never miss an opportunity to be a turd, do you vilhelm? Although I no longer hold the New Britain's in such high regard,
I am happy to hear you still have a close personal relationship with your Nazi war criminal buddy Gene,
you know, the seller of stolen war plundered goods to goose steppers such as yourself.

Gene died several years ago Bob. The last time I spoke with him was early 1991 when I went to his house to see if he had a bolt stop for a Siamese Mauser action. Prior to that was in the mid-1980's before he sold his business and retired. Hardly a close personal relationship. I've said this before, but Gene had been a German soldier who emmigrated here after the war, like many other Germans who were not Nazi war criminals. In all the time I knew him, I never saw or heard of him selling even one of those highly ornate guns he stashed, and later smuggled to the U.S. They were never on the racks in his store, but were part of his large personal collection. I heard they were sold off to some wealthy collector after he died, but I never bought any from him. They had been confiscated by the Nazi's, not by Gene. He was an armorer, not part of the infantry. They were supposed to be crushed by him to prevent recapture and reuse, and sent to a steel mill to be melted and used by the Nazi's to make armaments. I suppose you could say he stole war materials from the Nazi's that would have been used against the Allies. They probably would have shot him or sent him to the Russian front if they caught him.

You knew all of that Bob, but you have some low class ignorant need to repeat lies and make shit up. That's the kind of person you are. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the folks at CSMC chose to not do business with you because they got sick of you.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jaqua's is back. I was in maybe 10 years ago and saw a lot of black rifles and pumps, hardly any SxS. Now they have a great mix of very nice O/U, Purdey's , 21's, H&H, Woodwards.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Nitrah
Jaqua's is back. I was in maybe 10 years ago and saw a lot of black rifles and pumps, hardly any SxS. Now they have a great mix of very nice O/U, Purdey's , 21's, H&H, Woodwards.
I keep looking at all the Model 21s they have on the internet. That's the main thing I am interested in. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 07/31/24 12:04 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Glad to hear Jaquas is back like before. Its been at least 15 years since I was there. Before, was there several times and did not have the nice guns that they had when Bill was running it.

John
Arrieta
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

My version of the "World's Best Gun Store" no longer exists except in the memory of numerous outdoorsmen (and outdoorswomen) and firearm enthusiasts... Wall's General Store (and later on Wall's Gun Store) in Blairstown, Missouri about 50 miles southeast of Kansas City. This little town with a population of about 150 sits out in the middle of nowhere but for years it was home to the gun shop with the largest firearms inventory in the state of Missouri (if not most of the mid-west)! But it was the owner and the atmosphere that were really the biggest draw in my opinion.

John Wall had run his general store since the 1940's and by the time I was attending college at Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg in the late 80s his store had evolved into a firearms mecca extraordinaire! He had purchased the entire row of buildings that made up the series of store fronts along the west side of Main St in Blairestown. His "General Store" was at 203 N Main St and served as the main entrance to his world. The immediate interior is just about how you'd imagine an old general store with some counters down the sides and shelves for goods behind those on the walls, except in place of shelves along the wall to the right as you entered the store were big walnut gun cases with sliding glass doors. The used guns contained within ranged from the most pedestrian 22 single shot to engraved graded double barrel shotguns. Want a Winchester Model 12 or Model 42... Heck, what flavor?! He had multiples of each gauge and numerous grades to choose from. And new guns you say? Well that's where the other buildings came into play... They were for storage! Stacks of boxes of Remingtons, Rugers, Winchesters, etc. Just absolutely mind blowing inventory of firearms.

I purchased my very first sxs shotgun from John on an icy winter day when the weather was so bad they called off classes but somehow my old 4x4 Chevy made the drive to Blairstown with me and my 2 roommates. I had dug through the racks of double barrel guns every single time I went into his store and they were always too much for a college kid to afford, but on this day a recent addition sat in the rack... It was marked Stoeger on the top rib but turned out to be a Victor Sarasqueta Model 3 that was so fresh to his inventory he hadn't had the chance to clean it up yet. It was almost black with grime and no price tag so I had to holler at John to see what he wanted for it. He came over and took it in his hands and looked it over and opened the action and closed it with a click and said "Well, I took this in trade yesterday and haven't had time to really see what it's worth. I figure I've got about $150 in it and so I'd be happy to let you have it for that." About 2 hours later my roommates and I were headed back to Warrensburg with my newly purchased prize!

And that's pretty much how John seemed to operate. I needed a holster for a blackpowder Colt knock-off once and ran down to Blairestown and asked John if he had anything like that. He points to the counter along the left side of the store and says "I believe I bought a bunch of those type holsters back around 1982 and if I still have them they'd be under that counter near the front of the store." Yep, there they were all boxed and marked with what they fit and in pencil on the top of the box were handwritten prices. I asked John what he wanted for the holster and he asked what was written on the box... And that's what he sold it to me for.

John passed around 20 years ago and his shop had passed into other hands years before that and now it's a vacant lot holding a bunch of old cars. But for a while it held the World's Best Gun Store.

A little nugget of nostalgia.

6 members like this: coosa, Jimmy W, earlyriser, SKB, FallCreekFan, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wouldn't it be nice to walk into Abercrombie and Fitch in New York, today? Or the guys out on the west coast to Kerr's? I would have loved to have seen Von Lengerke and Antoine in Chicago where my Winchester Model 21 was shipped to back in 1947. When I took my trip up to Connecticut last year and drove over to Winchester I wanted to go inside of the old building. But I didn't.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 08/05/24 04:07 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Was in Jaquas last week. Lots of nice guns. I just don’t have the money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mid South Guns in Wagram, NC, is now probably one of the better old-fashioned gun stores available. They do have a variety to appeal to whatever your pocketbook can afford.

RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can get a nice feel for the Gordy's shop by watching Johnny Carter's Youtube video on it. Here is the link:

Looks like a lovely shop. Hope to visit it one day.

Living in Ohio I visit Jaqua's regularly either at their shop in Findley or at Cardinal Shooting Center when the big trap shoots are on. Nick and the guys are great to do business with. I haven't been out there in a few months, but they usually have a good selection of new and used guns for sale. What is nice about Jaqua's is that all the guns are open to you to handle. Even the super expensive stuff. The new shop is a tad smaller than Bill's old location (and there is no trap range and club anymore), but the mix of new and used guns remains pretty good. Always some thing to attract my attention every time I visit.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.