September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, Travis S, prairie ghost, GeorgeGibbs505, 1 invisible), 228 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,053
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bob Cash
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good evening Jon.
I’m afraid I must respectfully disagree with you. These ARE magic super guns. Built in America, by Americans, for Americans.
The above is my most recent, a 16 gauge Tournament Skeet. The previous owner vetted me before he would sell me the gun.
90 % admirable original condition.

Embarrassingly, the above may soon be untrue.
Tournament 12 gauge
Things sometimes break, we deal with it.

1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

This follow-up I submitted yesterday, to the repeated attempt to upstage Dewey Vicknair, must have gotten lost or something. So I'll try again. The new example pictured above is a bit better, and is beginning to approach Crescent Gun Co. metal fitting and finishing quality. However, if you are going to accuse Dewey of negative cherry picking, you should at least choose some nice cherries as examples.

I don't recall ever seeing a Crescent, N.R. Davis, Worthington, or any other cheap double with a screw slot as far off-center as the set screw on the left. The screw slot in the previous photo looks like it was cut with a hack saw. Screws on field grade Baikals look better. Cheap Chinese toys from the Nixon era had nicer screws. And look at the difference in the length of those ejectors! The peened ends suggest poor quality steel or a need for heat treatment.

If I made a gun screw like that and posted a picture of it here, I would be laughed off this forum, and rightfully so. I'd have my Liberal Gal Fan Club here saving it, and reposting it for all time to mock me. It is remarkable that anyone would post that image as an example of fine gun craftsmanship. I might also give that a "Like"... if I was a know-it-all who knows very little.

Stick to what you're good at... even if little more than collecting pictures and old advertisements. Leave the gun critiques to someone who actually has skill, extensive hands-on shotgun knowledge, and a discerning eye.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good evening Jon.
I’m afraid I must respectfully disagree with you. These ARE magic super guns. Built in America, by Americans, for Americans.
The above is my most recent, a 16 gauge Tournament Skeet. The previous owner vetted me before he would sell me the gun.

Tournament 12 gauge

Happens to the best of ‘em. Happens to the alleged best of ‘em, more.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have nothing against people who like or think the M21 is some sort of magic gun. I don't care for them personally. I think a quality English gun puts them to shame. I would rather shoot a Parker or Lefever when I choose the Americana type. I know quite a few people from various gun clubs who own M21's and they can't hit the broad side of a barn with one. I verified this as I couldn't hit the same barn with their guns either! I average 98 at skeet with modern and most sxs guns in a 12 gauge. Gun fit was not the issue either. I can only deduce from my limited experience with them that they were either poorly regulated or the shooting gods were against me. The 21 might be the only gun I can't shoot proficiently with. I guess that is why I don't have one in my collection. Sa la vie.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dewey's site again
https://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2016/01/an-unbiased-look-at-design-of-american.html

This is the full size image enhanced and rotated to get the SN which looks like 8685 which would be about 1935
The screws and barrel stop have been removed and the lumps have been separated; there is obviously no solder.

Click on Dewey's brief video and he moves the 2 lumps back & forth demonstrating the dovetail adds little to the strength of the lump.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There may be changes in the quality of the joining over time. Estimated DOM are per Schwing's SN listing.

1934 looks good

1951 with a significant gap filled with solder

The previously posted 1954

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Advertising, Drew. You can say anything you want:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
posted image

Then, in the future, when everyone involved is dead, you don’t have to listen to the laughter.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

20 pages of entertainment, including thoughts on the CSMC M21
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508999&page=all

I found a thread from 2007 with Ted, Bill and JIMMY (!) debating the hanger issues smile
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=57087

and another heartbreak wink
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=453348&page=all

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good evening Jon.

Tournament 12 gauge
Beautiful!! Like I always said: The ONLY gun that the good Lord put his whole heart and soul into! smile

Last edited by Jimmy W; 07/27/24 02:32 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.