September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (NCTarheel, Ken57, eeb, ratt, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 271 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,892
Posts550,537
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nick's dad was hilarious. I remember the first time I went into their store and I was looking at their guns. Back around 2000. I'd never been in a big store like that before. I asked Nick's dad if I was allowed to pick up the guns to look at them. He started shaking his finger right in my face and said, "Yes you can handle the guns, BUT YOU BE CAREFUL!!" That really cracked me up. Nick sold me my first trap gun that day. A Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon and I paid an extra $500.00 to get a set of over/under barrels when I took it to the Grand American in Vandalia. I took the gun up there and they fitted the O/U barrels on the gun while I waited.

jlb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

With respect to Wall's Gun Shop; my father purchased a Model 12 Winchester in 28 gauge from Wall's and asked if they went to gun shows? The reply was no its gun show every day here. Must have been a great place. Dad said there were 6 Model 12 28 gauges on the rack.

jlb

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always stopped at Wall's on the way to Trail Ridge Sporting Clays in the late 80s. It was an about 1 hour drive from south KC.

1 member likes this: Jusanothajoe
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I remember when most Woolworth’s stores had a better than average sporting goods department. You could throw Sears and Montgomery Wards in that category, also. The gun counter would feature mostly new guns, a few beaters, and a 55 gallon drum with Mausers and Arisakas stuffed in it. My needs and wants were simpler then, but, they had everything. My first 1100 came from Woolworth’s, I still have the K4 Weaver I bought at Wards for my Remington 552.

There isn’t anything that really compares, anymore.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a reprint of an article on John Wall and his "General Store" from the early 90's...

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-kansas-city-star-john-wall-blairstow/121583451/

The image in the article shows John and the store front I remember from my college days and my trips to Blairstown.

1 member likes this: FallCreekFan
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember buying (with my parents’ help - paperwork wise) my first rifle from Woolworth’s in our local mall. Nowadays, that mall is the ultra-chic, can’t-afford-to-shop-there mall. Just like you described, Ted. I knew the counter man by name as we’d ride our bicycles (Sting Rays of course) three miles to the mall and hang around. Those were good days when a group of shaggy haired youngsters could safely go that far from home without fear - and be trusted not to get in trouble with the law.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BPFischer
Here's a reprint of an article on John Wall and his "General Store" from the early 90's...

Thanks for this.

Got to love the bumper sticker on the wall of the old store:

“This is a non-profit organization. It wasn’t intended to be. It just turned out that way.” 🤓

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 08/09/24 12:22 PM.

Speude Bradeos
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tom Bryant
I remember buying (with my parents’ help - paperwork wise) my first rifle from Woolworth’s in our local mall. Nowadays, that mall is the ultra-chic, can’t-afford-to-shop-there mall. Just like you described, Ted. I knew the counter man by name as we’d ride our bicycles (Sting Rays of course) three miles to the mall and hang around. Those were good days when a group of shaggy haired youngsters could safely go that far from home without fear - and be trusted not to get in trouble with the law.

The guy behind the counter knew my Dad and I by first name. We showed up after dinner on a Friday night, an hour or so before they closed, and he brought every new 12 gauge 1100 out, his idea, not mine, and we all appraised the wood on each gun, maybe 8 of them, and he let me pick one I liked the most. With tax, it was $211.00, I think it was 1978. I made $2.65 an hour at the grocery store, it seemed like it took forever to get that pile of money saved up.

The only kids who had Schwinn in our neighborhood got them used. I didn’t live on the wrong side of the tracks, but, you could hear the trains from where I did.

I look at new guns, now, and the thrill is gone. But, it was a thrill for me back then.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: old colonel
Sidelock
Sidelock

Every time I go through SW Ohio I stop at a gun store in South Lebanon, Ohio. It's called Country Attic Treasures. Nice place with reloading supplies, guns on consignment and they carry several SxSs in the back room. Winchester and Henry lever rifles and the newest shotguns, assault rifles and handguns. It's a pretty cool store. Check out their website!!

Last edited by Jimmy W; 08/12/24 06:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My years working at "The Gentleman Hunter" in the left wing outpost of Bethesda, Maryland lead me to nominate that store as one of the World's Best. The number of high grade and collectable guns that passed through that store was amazing. Unfortunately, most of them didn't stay long, going quickly to new owners. The store will be missed and I will miss my retirement job.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.