September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (PatG, Argo44, 1 invisible), 186 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,885
Posts550,453
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#649707 08/02/24 06:08 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It’s these opening words of an article about Weatherby’s Orion SxS that I question.

“The American renaissance of side-by-side shotguns is being championed by an unlikely group: millennial upland hunters. More and more, we are seeing men and women in their late 20s, 30s and early 40s chasing grouse, quail, chukar and pheasants with double guns.”

https://shootingsportsman.com/weatherby-orion-sxs/

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
It’s these opening words of an article about Weatherby’s Orion SxS that I question.

“The American renaissance of side-by-side shotguns is being championed by an unlikely group: millennial upland hunters. More and more, we are seeing men and women in their late 20s, 30s and early 40s chasing grouse, quail, chukar and pheasants with double guns.”

https://shootingsportsman.com/weatherby-orion-sxs/

True, but almost always new guns, not vintage guns. There are exceptions and I have gotten 5 or 6 friends into vintage doubles for hunting, but most seem to want new guns off the rack.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a bunch of bologna
Maybe shooting sportsman is saying this for Weatherby’s advertising help. Maybe they can say this because some of these guns like the Weatherby’s is selling for less that a beretta automatically or an 11-87

Some people believe that if they see something in print it’s gospel

John Boyd
Of Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
4 members like this: John Roberts, graybeardtmm3, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by arrieta2
What a bunch of bologna
Maybe shooting sportsman is saying this for Weatherby’s advertising help. Maybe they can say this because some of these guns like the Weatherby’s is selling for less that a beretta automatically or an 11-87

Some people believe that if they see something in print it’s gospel

John Boyd
Of Quality Arms

I've seen a few bragging about their CZ Bob whites like they are vintage English quality.

On the other hand, my father in law would never even consider a used gun of any kind. New was always better. Always.

_________
=>/

Sidelock
Sidelock

The market will decide if a Weatherby tradename SxS by Yildiz (one of the better Turkish makers) should be added to:
Huglu Round Body
CZs by Huglu
Tristar by Khan
Akkar Churchill
Dickinson by AKUS
FT6 by Kirici Arms (and maybe action by Howa)

I think Borderbill and I are the only ones using SxSs at Ben Avery; a (very) few more show up during Snow Bird season. I don't believe the marketing hyperbole about the 30- and 40-somethings buying doubles.

1 member likes this: bushveld
Sidelock
Sidelock

Double bologna

Where were the 20, 30 and 40 years old when I was doing this for 46 years on my own and 6 years before this

Tell me how many people you have seen at these ages shooting or owning a sbs

I will maybe give you a few at late 40s

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by arrieta2
Double bologna

Where were the 20, 30 and 40 years old when I was doing this for 46 years on my own and 6 years before this

Tell me how many people you have seen at these ages shooting or owning a sbs

I will maybe give you a few at late 40s

John Boyd

In the last 5 yrs,
Janet - Spanish double of some sort
Kat - American double of some sort
Will - CZ
Tim - LCS
David - 2 Sauers
All under 35 yrs old, one or two under 30.
I am missing a one or two that I can't quite put a finger on, and a couple older than 40.

They can be induced to become interested, but it isn't easy. Money is a factor.

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 08/02/24 08:57 PM.

_________
=>/

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe it’s just the way the barrels are oriented. I see plenty of junior shooters at NSCA registered shoots using Krieghoffs and higher end Berettas and Guerinis. Mom and Dad are footing that bill but the kids want what the big boys shoot and none shoot a SxS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eeb
Maybe it’s just the way the barrels are oriented. I see plenty of junior shooters at NSCA registered shoots using Krieghoffs and higher end Berettas and Guerinis. Mom and Dad are footing that bill but the kids want what the big boys shoot and none shoot a SxS.

That is no different than the elderly boomers that shoot for money.

_________
=>/

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

True but at least the Boomers have probably used a SxS and can appreciate them for what they are but the younger ones don’t have that appreciation. When they shoot for score it’s an OU, when they hunt it’s an auto. It’s like someone driving a Model T. SxS are a niche. If there’s to be a SxS renaissance Digweed will have to win a major tournament with one.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.