September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SXS 40, 1 invisible), 195 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,907
Posts550,627
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Um, the actions were the Pinnacle of Perfektion being a Grande Complication. One item that would clinch the deal would be the length of the frame. Lindner sourced frame forgings from Sauer, Triebel(remember H.A. Lindner married Hedwig Triebel on April 27th, 1877 so there was a tight & direct Triebel sourcing line) and possibly the Brothers Ritz. But the frame should be 56mm.....

My question lies with the period during the APUN, being where were the frame forgings sourced & how was the frame supplied to have the APUN applied?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too, with the fluid steel discussion on one of Argo44's threads, I do wonder when H.A. Lindner or Daly decided to migrate to Krupp Fluid Steel & Wittner? Both were huge leaps in tube steel and I can under stand the Trust in Krupp and it may have been the same with Wittner. I believe H.A. Lindner & others considered the Life on the end user in their own hands and made decisions to protect them, along with compensation in mind....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also have a Daly story brewing, just have not had time to pen it. The Story goes(this is not it but a prelude), Daly & Schoverling were selling skimpies & flimsies @ Böker and they have stashed away enough cash & contacts to mount a venture of their own. Daly wanted to go Big & Bold so he ponied up at the bar in England conveying his demands for a Sporting Gun. They almost ran him out on a rail saying you are a Loon and this will not sell. But Daly had the pulse of the America Sportsman and he knew, he just knew what the American Sportsman wanted. In hindsight he was 1000% correct. But Daly bought some Scott Kits and steamed home. Daly had befriended Gunmakers Abby & Foster of Chicago and fortunately they had just devised a quaint contraption to add Belts & Braces to the Doll's Head Extension. Abby & Foster found patent protection under Nr. 114,081 on April 25th, 1871. Seven short years later Abby goes toes up & leaves Daly to his own devices searching for >>The Mechanic<< to perfekt his platform & to fulfill his orders to the American Sportsman. It is said that the Boston & Philadelphia contingent of Gunmakers made the introduction of Daly to Lindner & I assume it was circa 1870. So with Abby making his last file stroke, Daly turned to H.A. Lindner, who too appreciated the style of the American Sportsman, and the Rest is History.

I typed all that to say that Daly style guns aren't really accepted in Germany, and every Blue Moon you find one offering by a Suhl maker that exemplifies the demands of the American Sportsman. And this Imm. Meffert looks just to be that.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: Jtplumb
Sidelock
Sidelock

In that same Abby Vein, the Rigby >>Rising Bite<< is actually the brainchild of Brother George Thackeray Abby and found patent protection under Nr. 87,814 on March 16th, 1869.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a Rasch with the secondary sears in 16ga but looks to me like a Sauer sourced action. I would have jumped for this one if it wasn’t for the side safety. I’m not very fond of that saftey. Other than that it definitely has potential!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Exactly, a Greener Safety is a huge turn-off to me too... I don't think a smokepole w/ a Greener safety would have sold well in the U.S. of A. during the period. Too, there actually exists an automatic Greener safety but I have not seen one on a German gun just yet.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most German mechanics would say that would make you anything to meet your wishes, i.e. the Customer is King, but I would say within reason. Most were reluctant to fill American orders until times were difficult after the 1st Major Disagreement in Europe. Then it was all about Bread money, where previously Suhl makers were envious/jealous of H.A. Lindner & desired to keep Lindner sort of estranged. Daly led the way for the American retailers sourcing Suhl and as his demand outpaced Lindner's most 4 or 5 man apprentice shop, Sauer was called in to fill orders and other Guns houses like V-L&D, etc sourced Sauer. So one sees American type sporting weapons from Sauer. Too, H.A. Lindner's 3 story house w/ the basement & 1st Floor strictly for business and shop, was on Schleusinger Straße and guess just who was 2 houses down?? Rolf Sauer...... But the longer frames do not have roots @ Sauer but @ Lindner.

Also, it may have been that Daly had purchased Scott parts kits and had Gebrüder Abby to assemble them before Abby expired. Don't forget that German Schoverling is in the background pulling strings.....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: Jtplumb
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Belts & Braces novel addition to the A&D Body Action found protection in say 1883/1884. Lindner used the Belts & Braces A&D Platform but cease paying the APUN is say 1892. So subtracting 17 years for the Protection Period would put you @ the 1875 Novel Date of the A&D Body Action. Just from memory, but I just do not think a Suhl maker other than Lindner offered an A&D Body Action Platform until after 1902(1884 plus 17 years). The Suhl makers dabbled with Blitz type action and sidelocks, but keeping from ponying up the funds for the APUN.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know you mentioned the Oskar will Venus being Lindneresque but I was kind of surprised to see Scott in the catalog mentioned in its description? Pic from German hunting gun site archive
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

That particular advert is touring the >>Scott Spindle<< component of the lockup....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.