September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (rrrgcy, 1 invisible), 335 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,906
Posts550,614
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

She kept a male GSP from our litter last year and asked us to go to Montana to watch and video the hunt. She wanted to see her dog work. We had a great trip, lots of birds, the puppies did excellent. On the way home she said next trip she thinks she wants to hunt and hinted at a gun. She is on the small size for her age (13) but strong (competitive gymnast) I have some 20 gauge guns that might work but I am also looking at options. Anyone have any o/u or sxs shotguns that might fit the bill? [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

may I suggest a 20 ga youth sized Beretta gas gun with the recoil reducing system...aka kick off...with minimal felt recoil, the Beretta will not hurt her...then later on try a six pound cut down 20 ga sxs...nitro special is a good choice...

wonderful picture of you all, bird included...

Last edited by ed good; 09/20/24 04:14 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chad,
I know you are proud of her; I would be too. She can handle one of your 20 gauges if you don't mind cutting the stock down, shortening the barrel to 24" and having choke tubes installed. Later on, she can give it to her own daughter.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 09/20/24 03:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish you were closer. My local store has a ladies short LOP FAIR in 28 that they have reduced greatly. It is so nimble

Sidelock
Sidelock

I could almost loan you the gun I got for my wife. It's an Ithaca SKB gauge. I cut the stock down for an added a soft bag as well. It is perfect for her, but she now rarely ever uses it. I am hoping that will change when we emigrate northward. I picked up a second stock for it to use as original length as well. In any event, the SKB is a great starter gun for a younger or smaller person..

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

According to how much you want to put into it, there are some very economical options. Here is one I am intimately familiar with,

The Yildiz Elegante. It is available in any gauge you wish for her, barrel length as short as 61 cm (24") and weighing 5.3 lbs. It used to sell at Academy Sports for $389. Available with to without ejectors. A friend bought me one as a gift about 12 years ago, just because he knew I like .410 S X Ss. I was, and still am, amazed at the value for the $$$. All I did to it was lighten the trigger pull (on it and another friend's like it). Very easy to do, and I did it myself on both guns, successfully. The single trigger has never malfunctioned in any way and the trigger pull has stayed right at about 4 lbs. Never a hiccup with these little lightweight guns for me or my friends (we own three of them). Great thing about it is that, with it being priced so reasonably, you won't feel bad about cutting the buttstock back for her, then adding the piece back later as she grows. Comes with choke tubes now, my .410 didn't.

I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy another one for a grandkid to start out with. And I own and appreciate fine doubles as well, lest anyone think I don't know quality, or junk, when I see it. I know we're imprinted with the idea that low prices are always indicative of low quality, but these little guns slipped under the radar.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We went digging through the guns last night. I have a reduced length cz O/U with 24" barrels and a 13" lop. She shot it last year and didn't really love it, I think it is the barrel weight that is causing her problems. She also tried out a Parker 20 VH 20 gauge than has a longer stock ~14" lop and 26" barrels but she was able to handle it better. I think the weight it just distributed better for her frame. We might try to find a 28 gauge Berreta O/U just to see how it feels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a little Ugartechea- Parker Hale 28ga with 13” stock. I also have a Ugartechea- Parker Hale 20ga grd3 with a 13 1/2” stock.

If any of these interest you, drop me your email and I’ll send pics and gun measurements to you. Both guns are very good condition.

Also full return if they don’t work for her. So like a free try out.

Last edited by battle; 09/21/24 02:43 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.