Researcher's gun was likely made as a fowling research project or fashion statement - both are OK with me and the gun now makes sense to me.

DM and bb3 - I agree that they are neat. But, why are they neat? Far as I know, both the 16 and 20 work equally well on doves and quail. So, it is not exactly a utility issue, or is it? Fashion? But which is more fashionable for quail and which for doves? DM, you are right on that M-21!! I don't think I even want to know the mental (or lack there of) process that went into it!!

LB - So, back to the original question. If you can get a set of 16 gauge barrels on a given frame, why is it not a 16 gauge frame? If you can get 16's on it, then it is for sure bigger than it has to be to get 20's on it. Why not say it is a scale 16 gauge frame with a set of standard/heavy 20's? Or, the frame is sized to accomodate light 16's and standard/heavy 20's. I understand the marketing hype that the implied shoehorning of larger gauge barrels onto a smaller gauge frame gives.