September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (graybeardtmm3, battle, azgreg, Hammergun, Argo44, 2 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,918
Posts550,711
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
clive Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Robert. Many thanks for posting the photos of the Merkel for comparison. Take a look at the photo below. There are some significant differences between the breeches which I believe confirms that this is a hand made action by Flues. First, the bottom locking lugs are completely different. I've been doing fine shotguns for 40 years and have never seen a lump design similar to my Flues. Second, the rods that hold the ejectors in place are a smaller diameter than the Merkel and it looks like in a slightly different location. Third, the top locking lugs are a different shape and lock with a square crossbolt, not a round one like the Merkel. Finally, the entire action just has that wonderful "hand built" look. There are slight differences detectable and a file mark here and there. You can almost feel Flues's presence!

Last edited by clive; 11/13/07 12:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: clive
Thanks everyone for all the GREAT info. I greatly appreciate all the knowledge you are sharing. I looked at the Flues on Gunbroker. It is serial #44. Mine is #41. Nice piece! Here are some differences I detected compared to mine. ...

$5,800.00 is the final hammer price for the 12ga:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84214768

Interesting list of bidders for it.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cringe when I see pictures of fine guns lying on rocks. Or hot tubs for that matter.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny, I also cringed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clive,
Don't let the fact, that someone bought the other Flues O/U for 25-50% of what it should have brought, get to you...That guy didn't advertise the auction, he didn't list the item correctly, he didn't use the name (word) kornbrath in the electronic auction listing.... he didn't so much as Google the name Emil Flues, or he would have had a better handle on what he had....

As for being handmade....the young men who stood on the elevator car (while on Seneca St.) to watch him work, told me many years later, that the recievers where inletted with a wall mounted crank drill, die sinkers chisels, breast drills, files and most importantly lots of sunlight...

If this is so, it should be evident if ever the occasion arises to disassemble the gun. Meaning there will be no mill marks (swirls associated with milling machines)

Did you get any history with the gun? It's a well known fact that Emil and Rudolph traded work...that is; guns for engraving...but we don't know what guns represented Kornbraths payment....does your gun have a solid rib?

also, as Larry said, square crossbolts are not uncommon...but those fangs on the rib extensions are

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.