September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Travis S, Gunning Bird), 197 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,910
Posts550,659
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too shoot ZZ at Deep River every month. I shoot two guns, a Perazzi SC3 with a custom stock parralell comb and a Winchester 21 with a custom stock parralell comb as well (which I am presently trying to sell). The P-gun has 30 1/4" barrels and the 21 has 32" tubes. I shoot B&P Flyer loads through them.
But we have a guy who shoots a Beretta 391 field gun with AA Super Sport loads that takes a lot of trophys. He shoots low gun also. So go figure.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too shoot ZZ at Deep River every month. I shoot two guns, a Perazzi SC3 with a custom stock parralell comb and a Winchester 21 with a custom stock parralell comb as well (which I am presently trying to sell). The P-gun has 30 1/4" barrels and the 21 has 32" tubes. I shoot B&P Flyer loads through them.
But we have a guy who shoots a Beretta 391 field gun with AA Super Sport loads that takes a lot of trophys. He shoots low gun also. So go figure.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shooting a 'standard' trap gun (high shooting) at non-rising target does take some pactice, but it can be done. Many shooters do prefer a high shooting gun for everything, and I'm one of them. I use the same trap gun, wobble or not.

To me, 'lively' means a light barrel set. Beretta, Perazzi, etc... the guns move when told, and are good for games with lots of gun movement - wobble, crazy quail, ZZ.

The 390/391 sport is in this category also... many people shoot those things scarry well. Excellent dynamics for 'find and chase' games.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunjones, my friend Joe Taylor mentioned "lively stock design", not actually addressing gun or barrel weight. I think he may be describing the type of stock that I mentioned previously, a little shorter and a little more drop than the typical ATA trap gun. Joe's bird and pigeon guns are not trap style guns on the back end, nor are mine. In my opinion, for anything other than ATA trap shooting, the shortest stock that can be comfortably used without nose to thumb contact is the "liveliest" style. Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in accord with eightbore and others---I don't believe a high-stocked heavy trap gun is the way to go on ZZ birds (Helice). I personally shoot either a 30" barreled S x S or what might be considered a classic light pigeon gun O/U, but in each case stocked somewhat between field and trap dimensions. This is my definition of what someone else described as "lively", a gun that can be moved relatively quickly to a fast changing target. Not at all sure how these compare to Rocketman's various numbers, but Don, we'll have to do some spinning on the MOI machine.

I agree with an earlier poster that only some of the birds are rising, the rest are at all kinds of heights/angles etc. With a high POI gun, what you gain on the rising birds you more than lose on the others. But of course, I'm not a very good shooter at Helice, so I could ask myself--what do I know! Keith

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a fun game. Our range has a field set up for it, but I've been reluctant since it's pretty pricey to shoot. But, when I get around to it, I'll reach for my 12g sporting clays, 32", 7.75 lb, 682 Gold E, with some tight chokes in it with a box of WallyWorlds finest 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 Feds (cause I have 'em). I'm thinking a 12g sporting clays gun is probably pretty close to the right setup?

I'd even like to give it a try with my 20ga, 7lb, 32", Browning 525 sporting clays gun, since I'm enamored with 20g right now.

Last edited by Chuck H; 11/13/07 12:59 PM.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

I have at times been guilty of spending much more on the tools than the sport. I have pretty much decided that is not the most intelligent approach. Loose that change! A couple of bucks per shot is not EVEN on the radar! You have a dog now, looks to be a fine companion & friend too! Don't put a pencil to it, rather enjoy it. The same has to be said of some games, you simply step up and enjoy them for what they are. Like hunting or fishing or gaming, the luck of the draw can be determinate. Spit on your bait and think positive, that's how it works for the compleat angler. Kill the hard ones & don't give away the easy ones is how it works on helice & similar games. Luck beats skill most of the time and the only way to practice your draw is to play. Races are, IMO, best when broken into ten bird events. Three tens is a LOT more fun than one thirty, keeps the hope fresh. "One more time, Cincinnati?"

tw #66352 11/14/07 02:01 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

TW,
I know what you're saying. But, it's hunting season now and targets are for the off-season IMO. I'm busy hunting for now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.