Marklart and Ed among some others have provided very thoughtful posts. Thank you. I just want to add: When someone writes something offensive and then says, in effect ---

'I (or he) was only joking, gee it's no big deal. Wow what's the big deal?!'

---That is even more offensive, and most people would even conclude rather cowardly. It reminds me of what a bully would say in the fourth grade when someone in authority catches him launch some taunt meant to injure and/or invoke a fight.

Saying democrats are the largest sleeper cell of Al Queda is offensive to many... including me. I did not serve and put my life on the line in the US Marine Corp to be told I am part of Al Queda. Not by anyone. Moreover, I do not think ducking under the fabrication that it is just a harmless little joke is being truthful. Not at all. It was NOT intended to be harmless. It may have partially been intended to make right wing nuts laugh, and to be sure it was meant to injure and/or invoke a fight in a fashion that is uncanny in its similarity to the tactics and mentality of a 4th grade bully.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality