|
S |
M |
T |
W |
T |
F |
S |
|
|
|
1
|
2
|
3
|
4
|
5
|
|
6
|
7
|
8
|
9
|
10
|
11
|
12
|
|
13
|
14
|
15
|
16
|
17
|
18
|
19
|
|
20
|
21
|
22
|
23
|
24
|
25
|
26
|
|
27
|
28
|
29
|
30
|
|
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
566
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums10
Topics40,447
Posts575,560
Members14,716
| |
Most Online32,084 Jun 14th, 2026
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,276 Likes: 924
Sidelock
|
Sidelock
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,276 Likes: 924 |
That's very interesting Ted. I knew Hunter Arms co. made bicycles, and Lefever made bicycle chains. But I never heard Remington made a bike.
Did you buy it? Was is repainted, or is that green oxidation on the brass badge? The head tube for the gooseneck is very long. It looks like it was made for a taller rider. I've never seen a seat mount like that. And the seat itself looks like an anti-theft device.
|
|
1 member likes this:
Ted Schefelbein |
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,990 Likes: 181
Sidelock
|
Sidelock
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,990 Likes: 181 |
Between E. Remington & Sons and Remington Arms Co. they made at least bicycles, typewriters, farm implements such as plows etc. and sewing machines as well as firearms. From 1877 E. Remington & Sons catalog -- ![[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]](https://i.imgur.com/HOK3qMb.jpg) From October 1894 Remington Arms Co. catalog -- ![[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]](https://i.imgur.com/LdHL0DN.jpg) ![[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]](https://i.imgur.com/4GcpuIX.jpg)
Last edited by Researcher; 09/24/26 11:03 AM.
|
|
1 member likes this:
Ted Schefelbein |
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,538 Likes: 1903
Sidelock
|
OP
Sidelock
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,538 Likes: 1903 |
Keith, Not my bike. I stole the pictures, didn’t buy it. I’d bet money it’s been painted a few times in the last 131 years. That is called a gallows seat post, gives you some adjustment front to back. The seat was more than likely leather, examples I have seen from that era are actually pretty comfortable. The right mouse gets in the shed and what you see is the result. That is a block chain on the bike, difficult to source today. I’d guess the front fork is bent, angles in the photo look odd.
Way older than where my bike interests are, but, interesting considering who made it.
Best, Ted
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,069 Likes: 655
Sidelock
|
Sidelock
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,069 Likes: 655 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,276 Likes: 924
Sidelock
|
Sidelock
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,276 Likes: 924 |
When I posted yesterday, I was looking at the pics on my cell phone. When I enlarge them on a monitor, I can now see that the green on the badge is brass oxidation. The paint looks awfully good for 1895 vintage, but if it was repainted, someone took the time to do pin striping. Probably not painted by Earl Scheib, at any rate. You made me curious and I took a little trip down the rathole to see other examples. Here's a link to a bike forum that has a lot more photos, including much larger images of that block chain and gallows seat post. The text in one Post on pg. 2 lists quite a few products Remington produced besides firearms. It appears the handlebars are original, and the cork grips are in pretty good shape compared to other originals. I kind of expected that it would have had drop handlebars, but other originals have the same type. Researchers ad shows them in a drop position. It is interesting, and a bit of a reminder of how many products are no longer built here. Thanks. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1894-remington-41126.112410/
|
|
1 member likes this:
Ted Schefelbein |
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,276 Likes: 924
Sidelock
|
Sidelock
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,276 Likes: 924 |
Inadvertent double Post--- deleted
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,990 Likes: 181
Sidelock
|
Sidelock
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,990 Likes: 181 |
A bit of Iver Johnson cycle info -- ![[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]](https://i.imgur.com/NVRhhEf.jpg) ![[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]](https://i.imgur.com/jopPyqa.jpg)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 198 Likes: 28
Sidelock
|
Sidelock
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 198 Likes: 28 |
Remington was also in the Chain Saw business. My Dad bought a new Remington chain saw in 1959. They had a special deal than promoting the than new Nylon 66 22 auto. Buy a chain saw and get a 22 rifle free. The dealer gave my Dad a gun and 2-3 weeks later He was sent another one from Remington arms.
Dirty Harry
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,538 Likes: 1903
Sidelock
|
OP
Sidelock
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,538 Likes: 1903 |
Not a Remington, but, I just finished this one, Keith: ![[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]](https://i.ibb.co/gMZb5WJ1/IMG-1395.jpg) My paint, decals, and pinstripes. Bikes keep me from blowing all my money at the gun club. You might not believe how dramatically the market for old bikes has changed in the less than 10 years since that post you linked to went up. I’m a regular on the CABE. Anybody doing old bikes now is doing it because they just enjoy it. The money, as it was, has left the hobby. I find it interesting that companies like Parker, Remington, Fox, and others produced so many things besides just guns. Best, Ted
|
|
|
|
|